Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

i would like to buy a doberman puppy.is it ferocious?is it t loving?is it a good guard dog?

i wnted to know about doberman breed of dogs.

Favorite Answer

Really with any breed of dog,the personality will depend on how you treat it. I have been around dobies since I was a baby. They are very loyal, and smart dogs, they are in fact protectors.

Source(s): www.google.com

There is no such thing as a ferocious breed of dog. A couple of major factors determine an animals behavior one being the animals lineage. Be sure that the person you get the dog from knows what they are doing. A breeder who breeds their dog more often than she should be will end up causing her to have pups more inclined to have nasty little tempers. The reason for this is that a mother dog should only have pups like once a year (i think don't quote me on this, you should ask a vet for specific details) but anyways if the female is bred too soon after her last set of pups, her body will be unable to produce the amount of necessary nutrients for these next pups. This often will cause the pups to have deficiencies and if done too many times (3rd and 4th litters) can turn out to be moodier dogs. For this reason I would suggest trying to find a breeder with lots of experience or one who has a dog with a first litter. Another thing you need to consider is how you will treat this dog. DO NOT get a dog (any kind) if you are going to mistreat it! Any dog can be turned mean. Just like people, animals react to their upbringing and surroundings. Whatever you do don't get a dog like this from a pet store. While they are nice for things like birds and other small pets, these stores when carrying pups and kittens often get them from suppliers commonly referred to as "Puppy Mills" this is almost a sure fire way to get a pup with temperment problems. Just make sure you do plenty of research and you will find the right dog for you! Good luck and Happy hunting!

Source(s): I've never had a dog I didn't love! (And I had a KILLER COLLIE!) lol

I used to work at a kennel and some of the dogs I loved the best that came through there were the dobermans. If you socialize them they are some of the nicest dogs you can have. They get a bad rap just like the rottweiller because they were used as guard dogs.

I have a doberman. He is the SWEETEST dog in the world, yet he would risk his life to protect me if he had to. But he would NEVER hurt anyone unless they were *obviously* hurting me.

Be sure to find a good breeder, not a backyard breeder. Go to a local doberman club and they can help you find one. The dogs are expensive, but it's worth it because you know they are healthy, good tempermented, etc. -OR- you could find a nearby doberman rescue group and they could match you with a perfect dobey. Email me if you have any more questions.

Good luck!

Source(s): The Doberman Pinscher Club of American: http://www.dpca.org/ How to Buy a Doberman Puppy: http://www.dpca.org/PuppyJW.html

My in-laws used to breed dobbies. They never had one who was vicious, but they raised them not to be. I believe it is all in the raising. I have a rottweiler and a pit bull who are the sweetest dogs and they love kids.

• CF_

talk to a reputable dog breeder...

most good guard dogs are NOT ferocius... it might surprise you to know this but that is a myth.. most guard dogs bark to scare away bad guys.. ferocious dogs just attack which can land you in a lawsuit