What is the difference between a coma and a concussion?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

A coma is a deep state of unconsciousness, during which an individual is not able to react to their environment. Someone in a coma cannot respond to any form of stimulation whatsoever. Coma can be caused by an underlying illness, or it can result from head trauma. While a concussion is a brief (seconds to minutes) loss of consciousness caused by a blow to the head.

• 2 decades ago

a coma is really serious. you could suffer serious brain damage by being unconscious for a long time

a concussion is something you can have awake. usually you need to have someone wake you up every hour to make sure things are ok with you.

i had a concussion when i was younger, and i remember blacking out and not being able to read signs on the wall ( i thought they were written in russian) and i was off balance and had a difficult time walking. a coma you're just passed out and nobody knows what is going on.

• 2 decades ago

I'mnot a medical person but as far as i know, a concussion is a temporary state where the brain is bruised and your temporarily out of sorts basically. a coma is when you've been through a very traumatic experience and you slip into a state of an undetermined length of unconciousness. Basically, a concussion is a temporary thing, a coma is indefinite. best of luck, hope all works out.

• 2 decades ago

A concussion is a brain bruise. But a coma is being unconscious for an extended period of time. The body does that to help itself heal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 decades ago

Coma: A state of deep, often prolonged unconsciousness, usually the result of injury, disease, or poison, in which an individual is incapable of sensing or responding to external stimuli and internal needs. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=com...

Concussion:

1. A violent jarring; a shock. See Synonyms at collision.

2. An injury to an organ, especially the brain, produced by a violent blow and followed by a temporary or prolonged loss of function. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=Con...

• Anonymous
    2 decades ago

The difference between the two is that ine is where you get a real bad bumb on the head and the other is that when you go into a comma you donot know what is going on around you. You are in that hospital stage then.

• Anonymous
    2 decades ago

coma is where you pretty close to death, a concussion is a hit on the head.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.