Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

wheeloffortune12 asked in PetsFish · 2 decades ago

Why do fish smell?

If fish are always underwater, shouldn't it be like taking a bath all the time?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

they just smell

• 2 decades ago

Something really fishy is going on

May. 5, 2005 12:00 AM

Today's question:

Why do fish smell fishy?

Well, what else are they going to smell like? Bears? They're fish. They're supposed to smell fishy. advertisement

Actually, they're not supposed to smell fishy. Or at least not too fishy.

The meat of a fresh fish is almost odorless. Any smell it may have is probably the result of something it ate or the type of water it was in when caught. Fish take on that really fishy smell only when they're dead and bacteria and enzymes go to work at breaking down the tissue.

Fish come equipped with a compound called trimethylamine N-oxide. Don't ask me what it is because I don't know. Well, I do know, but it's too complicated to go into right now. Fish scientists think they use this stuff kind of like antifreeze. It lowers the freezing point of their body fluids.

And it's that compound that makes fish smell like fish when they're dead.

You have some trimethylamine N-oxide in you, too. You get it from eating eggs, liver, soy products and fish, and for the most part that's fine.

However, about 1 percent of the population has a glitch in the genes that affect the way the body processes the stuff. The result is that their breath smells like dead fish.

This is called trimethylaminuria or fish-breath syndrome, and you have to figure it can't be a very fun thing to have.

It has been around forever, but it wasn't until about 1970 that doctors figured out what was going on. It can be controlled with antibiotics and diet.

Dogs can get it, too. That would be awful. A lot of dogs smell bad enough as it is. And in Sweden they have discovered that if cows eat a plant known as the stinking goosefoot they produce fishy-smelling milk.

So, that's that. There's room for one more if it's short.

Why are there no square sand traps on golf courses?

I'll probably regret this one. Some golf course somewhere probably has plenty of square sand traps, and I'll be hearing all about it for the next several days.

But look at it this way: Why would there be square sand traps?

Golf courses are meant to look like lush and rolling fields and intended to be kind of natural looking in an artificial sort of way. Squares would break that up. Square shapes just aren't something you see a lot of in nature, although I'll probably regret saying that as well.

• 2 decades ago

everything smell living or dead organic or inorganic. if you don't take a bath before putting on clean clothes you will smell.each of us bathe or not, have a different smell. remember a baby smell like milk,a skunk well you get the idea.

Source(s): observation
  • 2 decades ago

because they live in salty water, which is not cleaned regularly. So the smell of many things catch on the fish.

• 2 decades ago

There is quite a bit of mercury in fish and it's this that smells.

• 2 decades ago

FIsh that are alive and healthy do not smell. Only sick or dead fish stink. Anything dead or sick stinks.

• 2 decades ago

you are smelling the waist comming from the fish.If you have the proper pump it wouldent smell

• 2 decades ago

They live where they go to the bath room and eat.. it is going to have an oder!

• 2 decades ago

because they constanly live n that filthy tank....they use d potty juss like people..it depends on if its a ocean or an aquarium..aquarium wise would be...the food you put in their tank floats n the tank..n get icky after a while..like i said earlier..the water..or d poop

• Anonymous
    2 decades ago

if you lived in your waste without a toilet and uneaten food not in a fridge you would to.

• Anonymous
    2 decades ago

BECAUSE THEY LIVE UNDERWATER IS WHAT MAKES THEM SMELL....................I THINK....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.