Does butter go bad?

I'm sitting with with my friends in residence (University) eatting her expired food. We want to know if the butter/margarine we're putting on crackers is bad. The butter had been opened since last September.

How long does butter last for?

Update:

There is no expiry date on the container. The packaging was taken off in September.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Butter and oils will go rancid if exposed to light, heat or air. For this reason oil should be kept in a cool dark place( when in bottle ). As for butter and margarine if bought but not planning of using them quick, makes sense to freeze the quarter packs and take it to the refrigeration side as needed. For the same reason, all nuts (all have high oil content) should be kept refrigerated or frozen.

If butter has been kept under refrigeration, and there is no visible signs of melting or discoloration, should still be good for at least 5 to 6 months. But a taste test can always tell. If rancid, there is a sour smell in butter and the taste is strong and unusual.

Source(s): A professional executive chef for over thirty years.
  • 3 years ago

Does Butter Go Bad

• 3 years ago

Does Butter Expire

• Pinoy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Butter lasts a long time even after the expire date but it does eventually go off

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Butter can go bad. It's is after all an animal byproduct. Margarine can probably go rancid too however it is a plant byprodcut. Both should be kept refrigerated and/or frozen.

• 1 decade ago

Salted butter keeps for 1 to 2 years in the freezer and up to three months in the refrigerator. Unsalted butter, on the other hand, keeps for 2 to 3 months in the freezer and 3 to 4 weeks in the refrigerator. It is advisable not to leave unsalted butter at room temperature.

• 1 decade ago

Butter and margarine can go bad. Make sure you check the expiration dates on them.

• 1 decade ago

Don't know the shelf life. It will usually say "use by..." I know it will go rancid after awhile, which tastes bad but won't make you ill. When it comes to food, a good rule of thumb is when in doubt, DON'T eat it! Food poisoning is not a pleasant experience!

• 1 decade ago

Yes butter does go bad. If you look at the expiring day, it will tell you when it expires. If you have butter for more than a month and a half then it probaly goes bad. You can post some of your questions on my website at: www.freewebs.com/pinkistite

kust in case my website has nothing to do about pink, except my backround for it is pink, that's it. hope you visiit and remember to sign in at the guest book.

angela/ iluvpink1294

Source(s): my mom teaches me all about food and how to cook.
  • 1 decade ago

Check for the expiration date on the container, or smell it- butter will smell sour when it's bad. If it smells ok, it's probably fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.