psychology vs psychiatry?

could someone please enlighten me and tell the me the difference between psychology and psychiatry, and what kind of career choices are available for each

i would be so thankful for any answers

Best Answer

A psychiatrist has a medical degree and specializes in psychotropic medications and the management of psychotic symptomatology. They tend to provide medication management and earn more money than a psychologist. A psychologist is a doctoral level individual who has either a Ph.D. or Psy.D. Their main function is assessment, diagnosis, and psychotherapy. In some states, with further education, psychologists can prescribe medication. One could say, psychiatrists deal with the biological component and psychologists deal with the behavioral component of a human's behavior and personality -- this is in the broadest sense and cannot be considered a fast rule. I personally am a clinical psychologist.

Theres only one difference between to to psychology is simply counseling and similar work, psychiatry means that you have a medical degree behind it. A psychologist can not dispense medicine, while a psychiatrist can. The careers are similar and it all depends on what field you intend in going into. Unless your really into meds Id suggest psychologist and when you get right down to it, if your desire is helping people aim for counselor certification, its considered counseling but counselors do more or less the same as psychologists, but pull a smaller pay.

Psychologists, have a PhD pr Psy D in order to practice a Masters to work in schools and Mental Hospitals and nursing homes. They cannot prescribe medicine. Psychiatrists start out as any old Doctor but then take Psychiatry training and special classes for it the can prescribe medicine but leave most of the therapy work to the Psychologist. They earn a MD. They have to have a MD in order to be a Psychiatrist. I say that Psychiatrists are NO GOOD! They make me mad Psychologists though are nice and help but that is just me and my experience and others may be with me on this too.

Source(s): My knowledge and experiences, as you see I use my brain not other links! I am against links, use your talents and knowledge people that is wwhy we have so many topics!

I think religion has done more harm than psychiatry BUT there is good and bad in everything and CCHR is a proganda machine. Neurobiology (brain chemistry) is surely legitimate science, it may not be applied well but what is in this society - certainly not religion and with people's disbelief in state and religion psychiatry and psychology certainly will always have something to offer. The biggest challenge is to help the individual be "BE" above all of it, religion, state or psychology. So a good doctor or counsellor "cures" his/her patient so that he/she isn't needed them anymore, not like states and religions that attempt to rule over those same individuals. Some people that support the systems of rule are obviously afraid that WE might really get free with the help of psychology. :)

And no mass medication isn't the answer but there is no reason to remain ignorant about it or close the doors.

Source(s): through all of history good advice still - "Know Thyself" The Seven Sages

I think you have good description in the above answers, but if you don't mind, I would suggest another career.

Psychology and more over Psychiatry might not last still for long in history. Actually they have failed in their field. Their presence in schools, government, business, etc, etc, have not improved the scene and by statistics have worsened the scene.

Look the web site below, and see what their famous member have done. If you really want people to improve, get better, I would think of another career.

i hope choosing a career between these two is somehow hard.

a psycologist is some one who reads your mind and tell you how stupid or wise you are. he can also tell you what to do in order to come to balance.yet he doesn't know which medicine you can take. he deals with counselling.

on the other hand a psychiatrist is a medical doctor. he deals with mad people often. he gives medicine top those who are stupid, yet he doesn't even care about counselling them.

i would say that a psycologist deals with humanity where as

a psychiatrist is a medical doctor

Psychiatry is a medical degree. You will be able to prescribe drugs.

Psychology is just where you sit and listen to losers whine about not being happy.

I can answer your question about the differences between the fields, but not as much what it takes to become each. Pychologists do more talk therapy and psychatrists add medicine onto that.

Psychiatrists can prescribe medicine, psychologists cannot. I'm not 100% sure if this requires a medical degree or not, but I assume it requires at least more education.

One is a Mental counselor and the other is a medication proscriber to control the symptems