Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

studying late at night, or early in the morning?

i'm wondering which study method is actually best: staying up late at night to study and then turn in and sleep til late the next day, or other way around, going to bed early and getting up early to study in the morning...any suggestions?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I am more interested in giving serious useful info. See my other answers also please.

When you study doesn’t really matter.

Though it is difficult to show any scientific backing, it is widely accepted that some people are "late night persons" and some are "early birds". What is most important is that you should not change your natural sleeping pattern and personality.

There are some disadvantages for "late night persons". They tend to wake up late, thus their days start late, and everywhere they are a little late than the rest. So they often find they lose many opportunities in life. Secondly, "late night persons" normally don’t have much social contacts and they get isolated from the other people and this may lead into personality problems and they may become more and more introverts and tend to spend more and more time browsing internet or watching TV. In a way these people lose contact with the real world and become unrealistic, idealistic or dreamers in life. Not all “late night persons” may end up dreamers and introverts. However, this is one possibility.

There are some advantages studying in the late night or early morning. There would be very less disturbance thus one can get good concentration. If a person sleeps in the day, most of the essential things will not disturb him/her. Say, if it is important to attend an appointment with your medical adviser, it is very likely you would stop reading and attend that meeting, if it is day time. However, in the night, even if you are reminded of that meeting, there is nothing you can do. Thus, you will continue studying. What else you can do in the night?

Most important thing in studying is that the brain should get good rest. If you need to sleep for 8 hours or 9 hours, you should sleep. You can visualize your brain cells some thing like a spinning top (or a vibrating spring) that spins faster in the beginning and slowdown and come to a standstill. Normally then the other portions of your brain will take up those responsibilities and continue to do the work. But it is important that your brain should get adequate rest. Also avoid studying immediately after eating.

The most effective way of studying is to give rest for the brain every 30 minutes. Take break for 5 minutes after every 30 minutes. Afternoon sleep after taking food not more than 30 minutes is good.

85% everything what we memorize is lost immediately. Therefore, repetition is very important. Repeat reading or revisiting the past learnt things are very important. This can be done in many ways. The best way is to explain to some one else. (It is a known secret that most of the teachers and lawyers learn their subject after (applying it) talking to others.) If you don’t have any one else, then teach your self.

Reading immediately before the exam etc is very effective (not reading for first time but refreshing, or revisiting the past-learnt stuffs. What ever you read may be in the short-term memory next day when you write the exams. However, it is not practical for a vast amount of data. To study vast amount of data, the technique is to push what ever in your short-term memory into long-term memory a little by little every day. This is done by repetition. Repetition is the most important technique for putting more information in the long-term memory.

Under moderate pressure, we can learn more. However, under no pressure and under extreme pressure the ability to memorize would come down.

In addition, what ever we memorize just before going to sleep and immediately after we wake up may be stored more effectively. This is because the electrical waves in our brain are different at different stages of sleep and when we are awake.

Answers should be verified for accuracy

• 1 decade ago

The best is what suits you, what is more efficient for you. I used to study only in the mornings while others just studied at nights. It depends on you if you are a night or a morning type!

• 1 decade ago

each person has a system that works for them better. see what you remember best without alot of affort what happend late at night or early in the morning if neither your best way is to study in the afternoons or late mornings, etc. it's a matter of try and fail 'till succeed.

• 1 decade ago

I have found it easier to go to bed early and get up early. Then it is fresh on your mind. If you stay up late chances are you will be tired while you are studying and therefore missing important details.

Source(s): personal experience
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Depends on your natural circadian rhythm. Some of us rock in the morning and others at night. I prefer to study late into the night.

• 1 decade ago

Tough question, but I'd assume it depends chiefly on the type of person. However if I were to generalize, I'd speculate probably in the morning. At night you've expended a full day of energy and your brain is probably not processing information at it's peak. In the morning, despite dreams, your brain will be more rested and refreshed and thereby, I'd assume, more effecient at data processing.

• 1 decade ago

I am of the view that early morning is good. It has been proven that early morning the mind is more receptive and alert.

Try it and let me know if you notice any change.

• 1 decade ago

There is actually no such thing as a best method but a method that works or fits best for you. Find out more about your study habits, then see for yourself which works best. ^_^

• 1 decade ago

Studying at Night time is better as no body is their to disturb you.

• 1 decade ago

Noon works for me. Try it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.