Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Since Jesus celebrated Passover & not Easter, why do Christians celebrate Easter?

Update:

So, if Jesus was Jewish, how do you get that He is the Christian G-d?Shouldn't you be practicing Judaism instead of Christianity?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Christ was of the tribe of Judah and Levi, hence king and high priest.

EASTER A BRIEF HISTORY

The name “Easter” comes to America from Ostera or Eostre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. The origin goes back to 2000 BC in Babylonia honoring the goddess of spring Ishtar. Ishtar the mother/wife of their god Tammuz brought him back from the underworld. In Phoenecia she became Astarte, in Greece Eostre, and in Germany Ostara. Consider also a Phrygian honoring Attis and Cybele or a heretic Israelite honoring the Canaanite Baal and Ashtoreth. All of these are fertility celebrations of death and resurrection.

EASTER IN THE KING JAMES

The word “Easter” occurs in the King James Bible ONE TIME and is mistranslated. It should be translated PASSOVER.

Acts 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Easter G3957 pascha (pas'-khah) Of Chaldee origin (compare [H6453]); the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival or the special sacrifices connected with it): - Easter, Passover.

H6453 pesach (peh'-sakh) From H6452; a pretermission, that is, exemption; used only technically of the Jewish Passover (the festival or the victim): - passover (offering).

H6452 pasach (paw-sakh') A primitive root; to hop, that is, (figuratively) skip over (or spare); by implication to hesitate; also (literally) to limp, to dance: - halt, become lame, leap, pass over.

THE ORIGINAL PASSOVER A SHADOW

Exo.12:23 For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when He seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you. Exo.12:24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever. Exo.12:25 And it shall come to pass, when ye be come to the land which the LORD will give you, according as He hath promised, that ye shall keep this service. Exo.12:26 And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service? Exo.12:27 That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD'S Passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when He smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

What did it say in Exo.12:26? What mean ye by this service?

What did it say in Exo.12:27? It is the SACRIFICE of the LORD'S Passover.

This was a shadow, that is a silhouette or likeness, of Christ’s crucifixion. Israel was in bondage to the Egyptians. We were in bondage to sin.

CHRIST OUR PASSOVER

I Cor.5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? I Cor.5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: I Cor.5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Christ our Passover is SACRIFICED for us.

IT IS PROBABLY TRULY DISGUSTING TO FATHER

As with most Christian holidays, Easter has been secularized and commercialized. We have Easter bunnies, eggs, baskets, bonnets, parades and etc.

Knowing now the origins of Easter, the fallacy of Easter and the sacrifice Christ made for us; I am truly ashamed of myself. We should not be celebrating Easter. We should be celebrating Christ our Passover with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

What is your answer to a child who asks, “What mean ye by this service?” I pray your answer is not Easter.

What does God think, about what He sees and hears during this special time of year?

• Savaya
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Hi! I use to celebrate Easter, I was raised catholic, and then to Pentecostal,I really didn't know any better. After all why would anyone lie about this stuff. One of the old devils snares, lets get them out of Gd's Feasts, away from honoring the Sabbath, and get them into Babylon, by celebrating pagan holidays. The devil really must be having a good old time tricking and cheating not just Gd but people as well. I honestly try to show my family the truth about all of this, through scripture, but I am up against spiritual blindness, so would you pray for my family ?

I read some of the answers, looks like the whole point of your question got overlooked a lot. Sorry about that.

Easter is not when Jesus Christ was resurrected, it is a pagan holiday and has nothing to do with Jesus Christ at all, people think it does because they simply do not take the time to study it out for its truth. Jesus Christ was crucified on the Passover, now the Passover is celebrated the same time every year, according to Gods calender, not mans. So if you want to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, get a Jewish Calender find the Passover Date, count three days later and then celebrate.

• 1 decade ago

Because Passover is a Jewish celebration, about how the Jews were brought out of slavery in Egypt, and Easter is about how the Christian god was put to death and came back to life, just like many other gods in the ancient world. They are two difference celebrations meant for two different peoples, 'and never the twain shall meet.'

• 1 decade ago

Passover is a Jewish celebration. Easter is not a Jewish Holiday, which is one of the reasons Jesus didn't celebrate it. The MAIN reason, though, is because Easter is the Celebration of Jesus' resurrection from the dead. Followers of Christ (not Jews) celebrate Easter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Jesus could not celebrate Easter because it was his Resurrection which marks the first Easter. Jesus was a Jew, therefore clelbrated Passover.

• 1 decade ago

Ummm, it wasn't possible for Jesus to celebrate the Christian Holiday of Easter. Easter commemorates his resurrection, which was of course proceeded by his DEATH. Don't know about you, but I'm not expecting my Grandfather to show up at the Easter Egg hunt and Ham fest this year. That's cuz Dude is DEAD. LOL

• 1 decade ago

Easter is celebrating the risen Jesus. Jesus couldn't have celebrated it when He walked the earth because He hadn't been crucified yet. Easter wasn't celebrated until up to 100 years after His Ascension into heaven.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To collect those yummy Easter eggs, also the assent of the Lord Christ into heaven after being risen from the dead is deemed a Christian reason for celebration, and I concur because there is nothing like a party when the guest of honor is the son of God.

• X
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

TRUE Christians do NOT celebrate Easter. They recognize from the scriptures that the only celebration they're commanded to observe is the Memorial of Christ's death.....not his birth.....and not his resurrection. Just his death and just once a year.

• 1 decade ago

Because a pagan holiday named Easter (oestre) existed long before Jesus and the Catholic church needed to tack a Christian festival onto a holiday it couldn't get rid of.

• 1 decade ago

Easter is the celebration of Jesus' resurection after He was crucified. Before Jesus was crucified, Easter didn't exist, so He couldn't have celebrated it :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.