Are there resources out there to help me write a Budget (pro forma) for my non-profit trade group?

I recently became treasurer of a local trade group and have been appointed to develop an annual budget. I enjoy this type of challenge, but i'm definitely NOT a CPA. I'm hoping to find a series of web pages, books, or some actual examples of how to develop a pro forma. I want to build a formal one, and then use it to distill it down to an executive summary that various chairpeople can consult when they need an understanding of our business plan, our cash flow, etc. Can you recommend a good place to get started? I not only want to do a good job on this, I also want to really surprise people with the quality of it. Thanks!

• Kathy

America needs al Qaeda. People have short memories. I remember the 1980s when the Russians occupied Afghanistan. The Americans supplied arms, money and training to the mujahideen, and encouraged the buildup of al Qaeda. Remember all those Rambo movies set in Afghanistan? When the Soviet empire collapsed America needed a new enemy so they chose the Islamic world. And the two countries which provide the most support for al Qaeda are Saudi and Pakistan, both of which are America's allies. Nobody fingered in connection with the 911 attacks was Iraqi or had any connection with Saddam Hussein. During the 1980s while Iraq and Iran were at war with each other, America supported Saddam to the tune of billions of dollars worth of weapons, including chemical weapons. Remember the first large scale terrorist attack on America was the Oklahoma bombing in 1996, committed by Christian, not Islamic fundamentalists. Christians, Jews and Moslems all worship the same god and only differ on a few subtle philosophical points. Why bother to fight for any of the buggers? If all the money spent on middle Eastern wars since 1947 had been spent constructively, countries like Israel, Syria and Iraq would have higher standards of living than Germany or Sweden.