Nobody has a peep to say about 'Black History Month', but if there was such a thing as 'White History Month'?

This is the second posting.

First, I want to thank everyone who responsed to the first posting.

Second, no, I am not having a bad day, and no, I am not a racist.

To those who think that every month is 'White History Month', I think it is a shame that a more comprehensive version of the history of this great country is not universally taught in our schools. There may be African Americans, Asian Americans, etc, the important thing to remember is that we are ALL Americans and our history, ALL of our history, IS American history. And 'Black History Month' or any other for that matter, should instead be called 'Black Cultural Month'. No matter how well-meaning, it is names like 'Black History Month' that help in continuing to perpetuate racism in our nation today.

It is time for people to realise that if the history taught in our schools are not re-vamped soon, racism will continue to stay.

So, spread the word and write your congressman. : )

Best Answer

"I have a dream that ... children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Dr. King

Let us stop talking in color and start talking American.

I totally agree with you on that note. And don't be disheartened, even though it does not seem like it, there are a lot of people out there with the same mindset.

For everyone who counters that every month is 'White History Month'; if you are so incensed by that fact, why did you not do something about it to change that, instead of doing what was done to you in the 'dark ages'; segregating your culture and history. Anyone who foams at the mouth (and there are a lot of you) and say that, is NOT pro-active at all, because if they were, 'Black History Month' would have been called 'Black Cultural Month' and black history would have been part of the compulsory American History curriculum in all American schools.

Remember, if you don't do something about it, who will.

• Miss D

First of all, Black History Month is February. It is now over. The truth of the matter is black history month doesn't really change anything. It is just a label. Maybe some African-American related things are shown on TV, maybe a few more African-American references in classrooms, but no major changes. Slavery was one of the harshest times in American history. What is wrong with having a time to honor the people and their ancestors who were affected by this? I agree that all cultures should be respected and embraced, especially the Native Americans which are habitually overlooked. However, does it adversely affect anyone to have a black history month? Absolutely not. Black people are still a MINORITY. I think you should just get over it.

I completely agree with your ideas. I believe the only reason that black history month exists is that the white population is trying to break even with the years of enslavement. White people are trying to prove themselves as creatures with no barbaric behavior, and rather kind and compassionate characteristics.

At the same rate, criticism and talk of enslavement has reached certain levels that are intolerable, coming from both races. (taking into consideration that this was only selective white people)

Also, this society has failed to recognize other cultures. We are so worried and uptight about the white/black lines, no one thinks what it would be like to be middle eastern - especially as we are ruining their lives tremendously as we speak.

you know what's really weird? Charlize Thereon is FROM Africa, but no one ever refers to her as an "African American" so how can ****** who were born in the US call themselves "African" anything?.. you know what... lets all do it.. I'm going to run out get Scottish tanktop and some Irish Speedos and run through the streets screamin HAGIAS MEAT AND POTATOES I'M A UKAM! I'll demand special rights, scream oppression and burn down the phone lines calling the alcu every time some little thing ticks me off!

Source(s): YAWN

I couldn't agree with you more. I also disagree with the fact that we have a "Miss Black America" contest that whites or other races are not allowed to enter... yet in the "Miss America" pageant... ALL Americans, regardless of race, can enter. Having a "Miss Black America" contest also helps to perpetuate rascism in our country.

I think having white history month would be just as bad. I agree about Black Culture Month- but i think its stupid anyway. A month name wont change anyhting. Hard, solid action will!

Your right, we would be considered racists if we had the United white college fund, Miss white American etc. etc. No I'm not a racist, but you have raised a good point.

• Wassa!

What do you think the other 11 months are?

I don't see this as a question, rather as a statement.

its all stuupid, don't worry about the little pointless things you cannot control. it kills brain cells