Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

Can opened wine be stored at room temperature?

Best Answer

Wine goes bad because it reacts with the oxygen in the air. The air acts as a catalyst that helps to rapidly ferment the wine. Hope I am explaining this properly.

What you need is to get a device that will pump the air out of the bottle, creating a vacuum. That should help. Storing it in the fridge will help but that is the main thing. All it takes to bring red wine back to room temp from the fridge is to leave it out on the counter for about 30-40 minutes.

You can get the device from most wine merchants, or try the grocery stores.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Pontac

I don't like the sound of 'stored'. That implies keeping an opened wine for some time.

Wine starts to change and deteriorate the moment it is exposed to air.

Wines which have higher levels of alcohol or sugar - because they are preservatives - keep longer. A bottle of Port or Sherry (both are fortified) or a sweet dessert wine lasts a lot longer than an ordinary table wine.

A red wine with high levels of tannin might actually improve left open for a day as the air accelerates the aging process and helps to soften the tannins.

If you want to keep an ordinary table wine, put the cork back in as soon as possible (to reduce oxygen exposure) and put the bottle in the fridge door (keeping it cool helps prolong it).

I personally wouldn't want to drink wines that had been opened more than a day. By the way, this is why so many wines by the glass in bars are so unappealing -- they've been open too long.

If you intend regularly opening wines to finish later, see if you can find some smaller bottles -- those quarter sized screwcap bottles are ideal -- and pour the unused wine into the smaller bottle and close it, thus there is less oxygen in the bottle.

But why not look for wine in half or quarter bottles?

There are some devices that pump out the air -- but they are not very effective (waste of money in my opinion), and somedevices that pump nitrogen into the bottle to exclude oxygen, but these are expensive and still a bit iffy.

1

Source(s): Natural Penis Enlargement Solution : http://BiggerPenis.raiwi.com/?uHBx

You might also try a product called Private Preserve. It's a mixture of inert gases that keeps the wine form reacting with oxygen and helps preserve the flavor. Comes in a spray can, you can usually buy it at wine stores. This won't make the wine last indefinitely, but I've found it can extend the life for as much as 1 week stored at room temperature. Personally, I think it is better than the vacuum pumps because the space you create by pumping out the air becomes filled with volatile components of the wine, which provide much of the flavor.

• aquino

Opened Wine

Some wines should be left to breathe for a few minutes to get the full favor, however if left at room temperature for an extended time the wine turns to vineger. It does not take a long time, sidiments start occurring after a couple of days.

• cermak

How To Store Open Wine

Even red wine will go bad quickly if left at room temperture. All the pro's refrigerate their red wine then before drinking allow to warm to room temp.

No, it will deteriate. There is yeast in it becuase of the fermentation process, which is alive (slowed down by refrigeration) will continue to break down wine at room temp.

wine will go bad within

3 days in frig

1 week with vacuum pump

2 week aerosol spray

I always thought it could be, but recently I was told that both red and white should be refrigerated after opening, and can in fact get quite nasty after awhile if they aren't. (Guess it's good I didn't chug down a glass of that Merlot that's been sitting on top of the frig untouched for the last year and 1/2 :) )