What's the only mammal that cannot jump?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I am willing to bet that you are looking for the Elephant. There are many sites on the web which have stated that the elephant is the only mammal which can not jump. This is NOT the truth.

Just on the Web alone there are several others listed including the okapi, guinea pig and raccoon who are also reported as not being able to jump. (see references).

In the same class as the elephant, both Hippopotamus and Rhinoceroses come closer to skipping than jumping. Like the elephant, their body mass is too great in relation to their mass.

In addition, all bats have weak legs and usually have trouble walking, let alone jumping.

It has been recorded that sloths move too slow to jump. Plus they seldom climb down out of their trees.

Giraffes are known to run, but apparently always have one “foot on the ground.” Due to their neck structure, it may not be possible for them to jump in the usual meaning of the word.

Due to their odd physical shapes and relatively slow speeds, echidna (spiny anteater),

duck-billed platypus and koala might also be listed among the non-jumpers.

Finally, there are the non-land mammals most of which can come at least part way out of the water, but none have legs and by definition, can not jump. These would include whales, porpoises, dolphins, manatees and maybe even sea lions.

Source(s): Okapi http://www.orgsites.com/nc/okapi/ guinea pigs www.freewebs.com/pitterpatterpets/guineapigs.htm Raccoon http://www.vcn.bc.ca/spes/urbanwildlife/nat_hist.h...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • derron
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Mammal Cannot Jump

• Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

To my knowledge, the elephant is the ONLY mammal that cannot jump. Elephants are physiologically unable to jump due to their weight. I have been unable to determine whether elephants are the only mammal that cannot jump, although I have seen that statement before. Nonetheless, I would not be surprised if the hippopotamus and the rhinoceros have similar difficulties in attempting to leap over buildings in a single bound.

• 1 decade ago

elephants. The question is not what animals do not jump, but cannot jump. dolphins, whales and porpoises can and do jump. the great whales are too heavy to leap out of the water in great acrobatics like dolphins, but they can generate enough jump to get half their body out of the water at a time when they spyhop.

rhinos and hippos, though it would seem impossible to us that they could jump, appear to be capable of it. elephants just don't have the bone structure. their feet are big, solid lumps that can't generate the impulse.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Harley
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Elephants

• 1 decade ago

Elephant, that's why I don't understand why that elephant on Sesame Street jumps all the time...

• 1 decade ago

Elephant

• 1 decade ago

Right, the elephant. That's why even a modest creek or ditch will stop them if the banks are too steep for them to get in and wade; they cannot jump across if it is too wide to step across.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Whales are mammals.

Whales have no feet.

Do you need feet to jump?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What about a Hippo? Do they jump? I don't think so.

• 1 decade ago

Whales and dolphins don't really jump either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.