What are the health insurance laws in the state of Georgia concerning enrollment once you are married?

My husband has blue cross blue sheild health insurance through his work..we got married about 7 months ago and his boss says they cant enroll me until enrollment in June..But my mom says its the law that right when your married they have to enroll you right then if you want health insurance..I can't find anything on this topic..please help.I want to be put on his plan ASAP because I do not have insurance.

Best Answer

nope, she was totally wrong.

you have to enroll your spouse w/in 30 of the marriage..

you notify your employer, not your insurance carrier. you go to human resources to fill out appropriate paperwork b/c they have to change your contributions.

if you do not go to your human resources department w/in 30 days, you have to wait until your next open enrollment.

It is the law- They have to enroll you, if you are his spouse. You should call a local bcbsga and talk to them about the situation. if they dont get u put on it, u can sue.