How does drinking Mt. dew help kids with ADD?

Favorite Answer

IT DOES NOT!!! With the High Fructose Corn Syrup and other unnatural ingredients, it may actually CAUSE ADD/ADHD

I have heard a few theories on this one. Ritalin is supposed to be a stimulant, but it calms ADD kids down. Mt. Dew has one of the highest caffine levels of all the softdrinks and caffine is a stimulant. SOOO....Mt. Dew can calm kids down because it is supposed to act as a stimulant. I'm not sure of the science behind the study, but I know it was easier for me to focus in college if I had one.

Caffeine can have the paradoxical effect of calming down hyperactive kids, making them behave better.

However, it works on totally different chemicals as ritalin and other drugs. So although it MAY make them less of a pain in the butt for their parents and teachers, it's not really fixing the problem.

If a kid really has ADD, caffeine may be an effective way to deal with it, but as they get older, problems may manifest in different ways.

but all of this is really controversial at this point

It's a form of self medicating, since caffeine is a stimulant, people with ADD/ADHD crave it.

It doesn't.