THINKMAAN asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Red Sox Nation, Who will catch Tim Wakefield.........?

Now that Doug Mirabelli is officially gone. Who do you think will catch Tim Wakefield knuckleball?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My best guess will be John Flaherty

There are three potential choices on the roster in Ken Huckaby, John Flaherty, and Josh Bard.

Ken Huckaby is, quite likely, the best defensive catcher of the three. He has a very good SB Caught percentage, and there has to be a reason he has stayed around as long as he has. However, he has some problems. Namely, he is a horrific hitter. The best hit he ever had was when he hurt Derek Jeter (not in a good way, but contact wise). Seriously, if he gets 120-150 plate appearences, he will hurt this team severely at the plate.

Josh Bard is the second choice. He's far younger (28) then Huckaby (35) or Flaherty (38). He was received in trade from the Indians in the Crisp/Marte swap. Like Varitek, he's a switch-hitter, but he isn't nearly as competent in hitting as Flaherty. He's cheap, and I'm guessing he's not out of options, so they could send him to Pawtucket.

Flaherty really has nothing over Bard. He's older (well, that may not be bad for a backup), he isn't as good defensively or offensively, and the Yankees wouldn't even take him as a backup.

Why do I say Flaherty then? They signed him to a deal, either 650k or 850k, and I don't think they'll waste that in AAA if Flaherty competes with the other two.

This is all assuming they don't use Tek there. I don't think they will, he plate is already full enough, and he took a sharp decline in September even when he got every 5th game off. Making him play every game would simply hurt him too much.

• itani
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Wake can likely final 2 greater years as long as hes healthful after that he will retire. Wake is a good starter and is sturdy in the rotation he went 11-4 this season and that grew to become into purely a ingredient of the season he did not get a lot enjoying time. If he maintains to be with them he will additionally harm the checklist for wins on the purple sox. Varitek has to circulate, his offense is enormously undesirable now and V-Mar is super with Boston he will surely be between the final AL catchers next season. yet precise now this isn't a huge concern they could concentration on Bay in the different case they are going to wish a sparkling outfielder, in addition they want a sparkling Shortstop via fact Jed cant circulate all season after his harm final year.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the person TRYING to catch Tim Wakefield will be Jason Varitek. but Wakefield's knuckleball moves so much, not even Jason can catch it all the time.

• 1 decade ago

Any of catchers will do, as long as they use an oversized mitt plus their knees are very hearty, since the knuckle jumps all over homeplate. When the knuckle comes in flat, the ball will be out of the ballpark in ahurry.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Most likely Varitek. A few passed balls maybe, but the other three catchers vying for the position aren't anything special.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They say John Flaherty will

• 1 decade ago

Jason Veritek....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the dude behind the plate

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.