Bob asked in Computers & InternetInternet · 1 decade ago

Adding wireless to my non-wireless DSL modem - what do I need?

I have a non-wireless DSL modem on my desktop, and I would like to add something to make my home wireless capable. My laptop has a wireless PCMCIA card, and I have used it at other places, and would like to use it wirelessly at home. What do I need to buy? Is there something that plugs into a USB port that sends out the wireless signal, or do I have to buy a whole new wireless modem/router?

Best Answer

You can connect a wireless router to a DSL modem in order to accomplish this. I've used a Netgear router successfully for this that I purchased for a steal on ebay. If you go this route, decide between 802.11b and 802.11g by weighing cost against desired speed. 802.11b routers are cheaper and offer the same distance, but a limited speed output. 802.11g routers are a new technology and are more expensive but offer a faster connection speed to your modem, and consequently to the internet.

Another alternative if you've been a loyal customer of a service like Verizon DSL for a year or more is to ask them for one of their upgraded combo modem/routers that they've been handing out to new customers for the past year. My father successfully accomplished this by calling and mentioning that he was growing more interested in switching to a cable internet service because of speed limitations. They seem pretty prone to throwing technology at a potential lost customer in attempts to appease them.

You need a Linksys or any wireless router, and you also may need to call your Service Provider and ask them to enable your DSL modem to use the Ethernet cable. Sometimes when the technician installs your service they use a USB cable, and you will be using a Ethernet with the router installation.

Linksys is what I have, it can control up to 30 wireless connections at once. Although when you buy you might want to think about how you plan to run it. For instance in my home we had to buy a relay to place about mid way of the house so you can get signal every where.

Yeah, get the Linksys WRT54G.

Also, be sure to create a WEP key to secure/encrypt your traffic, do not broadcast your SSID, and change the default admin password to access the console.

This all should be part of the video they include with the product. Watch it. It's useful. Good luck!

Linksys or any other wireless adapter system.