an example of using the Actor-Observer Effect in psychology?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This has to do with the different perspectives and motivations we have when we are the person doing the action (actor) versus the one observing others (observer). Observers often see primarily internal causes for the behaviors of others; actors usually see external causes.

If I were George Bush, as an actor I might see my decision to invade Iraq as due to Al Queda's and Saddam's actions against the United States. "I didn't want to invade, but Saddam made me."

Observers, whether Democrat or Republican, see the action as caused by Bush's characteristics. "He's a cowboy who wants to flex his muscle, and is an ideologue" (Democratic view). Or, "He is a good many who is just motivated to defend us from terrorism" (Republican view). In both cases, they see Bush's behavior as due to something internal--his personality or attitudes. In Bush's mind, the main cause is something external--the evilness of Saddam and Al Queda.

The difference between the actor and observer is often do to the perspectives--actors see their environments as prominent; observers see the actor as prominent. Thus, actors see environmental causes; observers see internal causes.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Actor Observer Effect

• stock
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Actor Observer Bias

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avTne

I believe the term you are looking for is the actor-perceiver bias. This means that any behavior that is observed by others has two attributions, the attribution of a person who performed the behavior (the actor) and the attribution of someone who witnessed the behavior (the perceiver). Here is an example. A person is stopped for speeding. In the role of the actor, you are more likely to make an external attribution, saying to yourself "I was stopped because my speedometer doesn't work right." Perceivers are more likely to make internal attributions, thinking that the driver was stopped for speeding because he was reckless and didn't believe the law applied to him. So, to simplify it...the actor blames the outside world, the perceiver blames the person performing the act.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

All of life is a performance. This is a real communication theory. It is the phenomenon of people acting differently in different situations (depending who and what they are around). I wish I still had my COM notes, so I could give you more info.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.