promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What can we do to stop our eroding morals/values in American soceity?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The first thing we can do is to each be a better role model for young people, because they will be us in a generation. It's easy to complain about the morals of everyone else, but the easiest place to start is inside your own skin.

Who decides what morals we want to teach? Whose values do we use? Was the 1950s a good moral era? I think most people would say yes. What was taught back then? respect, tolerance, etiquette, moderation. If this is where we want to go with this, then these qualities should be emphasized and modeled by us today.

ADD::: Here's an interesting article i found about "character education", please excuse the length...it also raises the question about 'whose morals should be taught' if we are going to integrate moral education into a curriculum. As in many questions, there is no black or white, only varying shades of gray.

http://www.ericdigests.org/2001-2/character.html

if all else fails we could call billy...see below.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I agree with getting rid of MTV. But that's not the solution. People have to start taking responsibility for themselves and their own actions and their own children. When a child acts out and they hear their own parents trying to place blame elsewhere, they learn that they're not responsible for anything. I think that as a country we are WAY too materialistic. Just look at all these people out there with "bling bling" and diamond studded rims on their 80,000 vehicles in comparison to the people living on the street with nothing. Or look outside the country and realize that we're not alone in the world and that people are suffering so much worse than we could even imagine. We live in a society that is addicted to wealth and the acquisition of it, or at least the appearance of it. I'm sure that if Americans could cut their (average) incomes in half, we could live just fine lives and that wealth spread elsewhere in the world could do so much good.

Eliminate the extremes of wealth and poverty, one of many steps that need to be taken. Not to say that people don't deserve what they've earned or that people should get handouts, but do we really need the government to fix the sugar prices and make laws to say where we are allowed to buy sugar from so we're paying 3x as much?

It's a crazy world. Keep up your questions Free Spirit!

• 1 decade ago

Make being a liberal against the law. John F. Kennedy (who was a liberal by the way) stated "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." Liberal beliefs are quite the opposite of JFK's statement. A liberals concern is "What's in if for me?"

This country is raising a generation of cowards. We oppose this war on terrorism is what they scream. But what they mean is they will give a pint of blood for 9-11 but they will not give their life to save the freedoms of the USA. The very freedoms that allow them to condemn the war in the first place.

We are raising a generation of homosexuals. Parents once frowned on homosexuality and would rush their children to every doctor they could find to get their child back to heterosexuality. Now these cowardly parents have been brainwashed by a liberal media into believing you have to accept this lifestyle or risk alienating your child. People, you can still love your child while telling them this is an unacceptable choice.

Liberals telling the whole of America that the usage of the "word" God is in violation of the separation of church and state. And yet these liberals and brainwashed America have not a clue what that really means. It means that the federal, state, and local governments cannot dictate or mandate a centralized church and force you to attend it. That is all it means, nothing else. The lack of education on this issue and the lack of education on the original intentions of the Constitution of the USA in general is shocking to me.

And I could go on and on about this. But maybe you get the picture. Am I saying that being a Conservative is the only way to be? "HARDLY!!!" There are other choices and much better than Liberal or Conservative. Educate yourself to the politics of the USA.

Source(s): Reality, its tough but it is the only thing to have.
  • How about starting with the some basics. Start with the relentless indoctrination and propaganda that promote the notion that the only measure of success in ones life is money. This edit has created the problem for which you seek an answer. It has the effect of removing from society the concept of caring for others, and more importantly, has created a climate in which those who have children work more and more to get more money, and along the way, forget that they actually have children. Children in turn want more and more, so see, it become a self-consuming monster.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garst
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

it isn't any longer anti-American, you're showing your patriotism to have the middle to declare "adult adult males, we ought to consistently do some thing, everythings no longer suited, we are in a position to advance." And there are dissimilar stuff u.s. has carried out to circulate against the liberty and liberty it promotes, enable's see: Slavery, Jim Crow regulations, eastern Internment, The Draft, and probable plenty greater. after that's there relatively certainly one of those project as authentic freedom? particular there is, it is stated as chaos. without regulations and bounds we would be actually unfastened to do what we would have cherished, and existence may be plenty much less unsightly. (no longer cussing u out or something, basically throwing it available) yet this rather is a good land, we do have it plenty greater useful off than maximum international places available and that i'm happy to call it abode

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Going back in time, to the 50's.

• 1 decade ago

Teach people the Human values and tell them they are humans not machines.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

HAVE FUN CALL ME AND ASK 4 BILLY 217-563-7174

• 1 decade ago

Get rid of MTV...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Find God!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.