Where did the phrase "inquiring minds want to know" come from? Who said it first?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan
    Lv 5
    2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

The phrase MAY have originated with the National Enquirer tabloid with a play on the spelling...'Enquiring' minds want to know.

• levens
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Inquiring Minds

• israr
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Inquiring Minds Want To Know

• Dave
    Lv 6
    2 decades ago

First time I ever heard it was in my youth for a National Enquirer commercial. They would intersperse headlines of the day with the voice-over guy saying the phrase and actors proclaiming, "*I* want to know."

I am not absolutely positive that is the origin, but it's the first place I ever heard it, in the mid-70's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

"Inquiring minds want to know" originally came from E. F. Hutton (Stock Brokers) commercials on TV. Probably as early as the late 70's. They were funny, too. You'd see these two business types in the middle of a crowd and one of them would say, "Well, my broker is E. F. Hutton, and he says..." and, in the next scene, you'd see the whole crowd stop in their tracks and look over at the guys, straining to hear what he'd say. Then, the commercial would end with "Inquiring minds want to know" across the screen.

Screw National Enquirer - they stole it.

• 5 years ago

Tricky Ricky also said this once. at the warehouse.

• 2 decades ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.