nostalgia88 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why does my cat use the litter box every five minutes?

This doesn't always happen, but sometimes my cat goes in and out of the litter box four or five times within a half hour. He paws around, sits for a bit, paws some more, and then leaves. And then comes back to do it all over again.

I go and check the box after he's done, and he hasn't left anything new. Is this a sign of a larger problem or does he just like playing in the sand?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

UTI, bring your cat to the vet asap. He's trying to pee but there is a blockage. I lost a cat to this. Crystals in his urinary tract, he didn't make it through the operation.

Also you might want to look into changing your cat's diet, it's more prevalent in boy cats.

I now have girl cats.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think there may be an infection of some sort here urinary probably get him to a vet asap

Source(s): owner of three formally five cats
  • 1 decade ago

some cats may like to play in the sand, but you might check with your vet

• 1 decade ago

One of the most previlent problems with cats is urinary tract infections. Perhaps your cat goes there thinking that he/she needs to urinate, but cannot, because there is nothing there. I recommend that you take him/her to the vet.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I also agree, probably a urinary infection, easily treated by the vet.

• 1 decade ago

it may be because he/she drinks alot. or maby his/her kidenys are faiing. lets just hope that it is the first one and not the second. if it is the second you may have to put him/her to sleep

• 1 decade ago

maybe its taking laxatives!? does it have low self esteem?? lol

• she has to go to the bathroom??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.