It seems that as the worlds population increases, violence and extremism rises at a higher rate. Analyze this?

I have a theory I call "The mice in an aquarium." Take two mice, give them a determined amount of space, food and water. These mice breed. Now there are say, 10 mice using the same space, water and food. The space becomes dirty, the food runs out too soon and the water becomes contaminated. These mice breed but as their environment becomes "sicker", the new mice born are afflicted with genetic, mental and environmental illnesses. After the space becomes overwhelmed, they start killing and eating eachother to survive. Do you think the world is headed here?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sorry, but this is just a rehash of Hippy propaganda from the 70s. It was based on flawed research to begin with, and you’ve added nothing new. It’s total nonsense.

Let’s examine some of the more obvious flaws in your ‘reasoning’.

1)The homicide rate for hunter-gatherer societies is around 1.5%, often higher. The homicide rate for the US is around 0.5%. The homicide rate for Japan is around 0.1%. Yet HGs live at much lower population densities than Americans, and Americans live at much lower population densities than Japanese. The evidence suggests that HUMAN VIOLENCE DECREASES WITH INCREAING POPULATON DENSITIES.

2)US homicide rates have been declining steadily for the last 35 years, yet the population has been increasing steadily. Isn’t this exactly the opposite of what your ‘theory’ predicts?

3)The amount of food produced per capita worldwide has been increasing steadily for the last 60 years. The number of people hungry, the number of people suffering malnutrition and the number of people dying of hunger have all been falling steadily for the past 60 years, along with the percentages of people suffering those things. According to your ‘theory’ as food becomes more abundant violence should decrease. SINCE FOOD AVIALBILITY IS NO LONGER AN ISUE FOR HUMANS WHY DO YOU BELIEVE VIOLENCE WILL INCREASE AS A RESULT OF SCARCITY?

4)Pollution levels both worldwide and within the US have been declining steadily for the last 30 years. According to your ‘theory’ as the environment becomes cleaner violence should decrease. SINCE THE ENVIRONEMNT IS CONTINUOUSLY BECOMING CLEANER WHY DO YOU BELIEVE THAT VIOLENCE WILL INCREASE AS A RESULT OF POLLUTION?

There are several other minor but critical flaws in their that I won’t even bother to comment on. As the Shadow said, you are twisting the evidence to support your theory. IN reality the facts contradict your theory.

• Login to reply the answers
  • You are making your "evidence" support your "fact"

The world is no more violent or extreme than it was in the 1700's or in 924 or 10,000 years ago. If anything, we have become more accepting and less violent. (United Nations Declairation of Human Rights, Rights of the Woman, Rhights of Children, Abolishing Slavery etc etc... not everywhere of course yet but certainly better every year that goes by.) I think your mice are stuck in a cruel system built by a cruel person. We make this world. If we want happiness and peace, we can have it... Comfortable people living comfortable lives are making a killing (financially and literaly) designing new weapon systems and chemical weapons and military equipment and selling them to whomever offers the biggest sack of money.. It's these people that are deciding for the rest of us how we are going to live. (you don't spend trillions of dollars on bombs or guns unless you intend to use them) ... so I offer the words of Lee Smolin "All we will have of utopia is what we build with our own hands"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

For sure and it can only get worse.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.