patzky99 asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

When is it okay to tell a lie, if ever?

Under what circumstances, if any, would you lie to someone close to you?

• Kevin
    Best Answer

Quoted from the website listed at the bottom,

For Men Only, The Art of Lying to Your Wife

All right, I admit the title to this article doesn’t sound good. I’ll even use the words "deceptive" or "dishonest"; maybe "disingenuous" sounds better. But, if the male species is to survive we need to know the top five times a bold face lie to our woman is required if we are to stay in a long, loving relationship. How would you respond to the following scenarios?

Scenario #1: It’s 11:30, lights out, you’ve just finished watching Leno and you’ve given your wife a good night kiss. A few minutes pass… you’re drifting off…when you suddenly hear your Boo Bear say, "Honey, if I ever died would you ever remarry?" What do you do?

A. Pretend to be asleep.

B. Tell her that "A love match like ours can never be replaced".

C. Tell her that after an appropriate mourning period you would naturally begin to socialize.

Scenario #2: You’re invited to your ten-year class reunion. Your woman squeezes into her old cheerleading outfit and remarks, "My goodness! It still fits! How do I look? Do I look fat?" Would you say:

A. Maybe we need to call Jenny Craig.

B. It’s like we’ve gone back in time. You’ve never looked so beautiful.

C. The word "Oink" comes to mind.

Scenario #3: It’s your anniversary and your wife has surprised you with a candle lit dinner for two. As you cut into the Cornish game hen dust rises from the incision you’ve just made. As you take your first bite you’re reminded of the Sahara Desert. "How do you like it? I’ve slaved over a hot stove for four hours." What do you say?

A. It’s a little dry.

B. It’s delicious! Are you related to Julia Child?

C. Even the contestants on "Survivor" would pass on this bird.

Scenario #4: Your wife’s best friend just completed her thesis towards her Ph.D. Your spouse ponders whether her own accomplishments in life are as worthy and asks, "Honey, in the big scheme of things do I make a difference?" Do you say:

A. In this big crazy world we live in who’s to say what matters and what doesn’t?

B. Didn’t you drop out after the 6th grade?

C. You make a difference to me and anyone else who is lucky enough to come in contact with you.

Scenario #5: After your wife’s best friend receives her new Ph.D., her husband pops for a new rack and face-lift for her. Your wife is appalled and says, "I can’t believe it, first she tries to prove she’s smarter than everyone else and now she’s trying to look 20 years younger. Why won’t she just grow old gracefully? Honey, do I need a face-lift?" What do you say?

A. Does the Mona Lisa need a new coat of paint? Of course not!

B. No, I like the wrinkles. They show experience and wisdom.

C. What I think we’re dealing with here is a tear down.

There are five areas where telling the truth may be detrimental to your health. Discussing your wife’s mortality, weight, age, accomplishments or her cooking. Tread softly. If the truth hurts and it usually does, keep your mouth shut or tell a lie. While honesty is usually the best policy, staying alive and your wife’s happiness is a bigger priority.

by Fred Cuellar the Diamond Guy®

You might find the story of Rahab the Harlot in the Bible interesting. She hid SPIES. This deceptive act was considered righteous. She was accounted among the faithful too! Biblically speaking there is a graded absolutism. I can not take a lesser law (like paying a tithe) and use it to ignore a greater law (honoring my parents by caring for them physically when they are in need financially). This is exactly what Jesus condemned the Pharisees for doing. He called this, "straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel." I doubt very much that people who lie on a daily basis ever consider what type of lie they are telling. I'm glad you're considering such things and repent of all your lies so that you can walk in the truth.

It's never right to lie, because God is truth and hates lies.

Proverbs 12:22 "Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal faithfully are His delight."

That doesn't mean to be tactless when saying the truth, but to twist the truth is wrong. It's not always easy, though, and if I get into a really hard situation where it seems like lying is the only way out, I hope that God will give me the strength to tell the truth.

some of the occassions that it is ok to lie are as follows:

*honey, do these pants make me look fat?

*So you are an american CIA operative, what do you do?

*to get sex

*you forget you wife/lovers anniversary

*Did you enjoy that thing i tried there with my tounge?

*Wasn't that just the best sex you have ever had?

*in order to not hurt a persons feelings?

*(police officer) Hey did you just drop this bag of marijuana?

*How are you? (this question demands a lie, noone really wants to know how you really feel. and if they do ask this in sincerity they will push through the facade of "fine")

these are just a few of the times when it is ok to lie

Source(s): oh yeah sure baby i love you too

I would lie to a person to avoid hurting their feelings. For instance, let's say they were in a singing contest and they were the worse one there. I don't think you'd want to tell them that. Most likely you'd tell a white lie and say, "yeah, I think you did a good job. I enjoyed hearing you sing." Or, let's say, a friend gives you a gift and you think it is pretty useless, you probably would spare their feelings and say you like it, right? These are white lies and they are perfectly okay!

Source(s): My experiences.

The truth hurts less than a lie. If you tell the truth, no one can argue merits. If you lie to hid the truth, then your character comes into question.

It is never okay to lie because 1st of all the truth ALWAYS COMES OUT, 2nd you break a trust and that trust will never be mended to be what it had been. 3ed word gets around pretty fast if you can be trusted

I don't lie! I find it's easier to tell the truth! It's not as hard to remember as a lie!

I think lying degrades communication between people, and you often degrade yourself because lying can be stressful. That being said, I think if the positives of lying outweigh the negatives, it sometimes is beneficial. The benefits of lying can include being sensitive to someone's feelings and keeping information from people who don't need it.

its okay to lie when ur plannin a secrert gift/ party for someone u love. its okay to lie, when someone needs false reassurance to help them move on in life.

Small lies to avoid being hurtful are okay. (Think, "Does this make me look fat?" - do not, on pain of death, ever say "Yes.") Small lies to protect yourself are okay - no one needs to know every last detail about you. Remember, I said SMALL lies.

Lies about anything of real meaning are not acceptable. You can't expect to have a solid relationship if you build it on lies.