What does "kunoichi" mean? Female Japanese ninja, written in kanji and hiragana.?

What does kunoichi mean? Japanese for female ninja, it's written with hiragana 'ku no' and kanji 'ichi' (one). I've heard a bunch of different theories, but I can't find anything concrete.

I'm a Japanese language student, so the following might be a bit redundant or boring: One possibility is that the "ku" is for 9 (written usually in kanji as "ku" or "kyu"), and it's a particle "no", suggesting posession or nominalization. "9 of 1" or something, suggesting hiding places that a female ninja may have (or so I heard).

So, what does this name name really mean or imply? Any historical information would also be good. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I'm looking on a Japanese dictionary right now.

Kunoichi is written as " く ノ一”.

There is a space between くandノ.

くis a Hiragana pronounced KU.

ノ is a Katakana pronounced NO.

一 is a kanji pronounced ICHI and it means 1.

Kunoichi has 2 meanings; female, and female ninja.

Do you know a kanji which means female?

It's 女---pronounced ONNA. Take a look at 女 carefully.

If you break down this kanji, it becomes...く, ノ and 一!!

Good luck on your Japanese studies!! Ganbatte :)

Source(s): My Japanese dictionary, KOHJIEN--広辞苑
  • duca

Ninja Kanji

• bungay

Japanese Symbol For Ninja

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm a Japanese language student, so the following might be a bit redundant...

Source(s): quot kunoichi quot female japanese ninja written kanji hiragana: https://tr.im/zBpLs

I like the "9 in 1" translation as the Japanese had the nine tailed fox (nine tails or nine live in one body). I believe this was meant to mean the ninja called this title must be as tricky and crafty as a fox x9 as a fox is not powerful yet is resourceful and a worthy adversary. This would usually be a female as they are unexpecting and can be very crafty using anything especially sex (because that was a woman's greatest if not only tool in those times along with her mind).

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avg0U

Basically, what can be written in kanji should be written so. There are some exceptions, however. Using kana creates "some" atmosphere. As for "kokoro" 心, above all, it's a special word for Japanese people. "Kokoro" can be translated into various English words. Heart, mind, feelings, emotions, soul, spirit, and so on. "心," consisting of one character, looks so simple and "solid", and can be pronounced as "shin" (on-reading). "こころ" looks "soft," and it's the title of a famous novel written by Soseki Natsume. (Actually, the story is so serious.) And I understand "ココロ" has a particular atmosphere. ココロとカラダ is "mind and body" or "body and soul." Still, you should use kanji in writing.

From my understanding: kunoichi is what i would consider slang. Its original meaning was one who uses sex in order to obtain information or useing sex as a cover to obtain something else (be it death of target or whatever). This definition isn't relevant in our world culture due to time, so it now means "female ninja" and is accepted by that definition no matter WHERE you are. So you cant break it down as ku-no-ichi <--because the context no longer exist.

To be blunt an truthful imagine what "******" will means 200-300 years down the road after race is no longer the context, IF the word stands the test of time.

Source(s): Cross referencing the internet

dunno