how fast does the average plane travel?

Favorite Answer

Cessna 172 = 110 knots if you're lucky

A small Turboprop such as a Beech King Air = 260 knots

Most passenger jets = 400-500 knots

The airspeed indicator on airplanes don't tell how fast the airplane is actually going. For example when a jet is cruising at 35000 feet the airspeed needle will probably read somewhere in the 300 knot range even though the airplane is traveling at over 400 knots. It's complicated and confusing, but the speed shown on the airspeed indicator is called "indicated airspeed" and the actual speed the airplane is flying through the air is called "true airspeed."

1

Source(s): Experience Real Flight Simulation - http://FlightSimulator.siopu.com/?UNb
  • Erika

Average Plane Speed

Skubakobbe was correct and also incorrect with his answer. There would be no way to detirmine average since their is such a wide range of aircraft. Speeds vary from the sub 85 knots to (plus) 3 times the speed of sound. The speed figures of the aircraft mentioned by Skubakobbe are a a bit off though. A Cessna 172 typically crusies at 125 knots which is not an indication of maxmimum allowable speed. A boeing 737 (depending on model)can cruise above 350 Knots. The Learjet (depending on model) can "high speed" cruise above 450 Knots.

There are many variables...especially when trying to decide what the "average" plane is.

1 knot = approximately 1.15 M.P.H. e.g. 100 knots = 115 m.p.h.

Average (Typical Cruising) Speeds:

Light Single Engine piston powered airplane - 110-130 knots.

Light Single Engine Turbine Powered Airplane - 150-180 knots.

Light Twin Piston - 180-200 knots

Heavy Twin Piston - 200-250 knots

Twin Turboprop - 250-300 knots

Turbine (pure-jet) Powered Jetliner or Corporate Jet - 450 - 500 Knots

Rocket Powered e.g. STS / Space Shuttle - 15,300 knots (It's also the fastest glider.)

The speeds vary greatly between models. For example, some single engine pistons can't exceed 100 knots but another model / design can exceed 200 knots.

A cessna 172 can reach a cruise speed of about 120 knots.

A Boeing 737 can fly around 250 knots or more.

A business jet such as a Learjet, will fly around 200 knots.

So there are many types of aircraft

Prop

Turboprop

Light-Jet

Heavy-Jet

***thanks to the person who corrected me. I did not research those speeds, but the cessna speed I considered correct. Usually I get a Overspeed warning in the Learjet when flying above 300 knots, while my altitude could affect the max speed. The Boeing 737 usually hit Overspeed warning at 300 knots at 10,000 feet. I was just using information I knew, so thank you for correcting me!

It travels as fast as the plane thats flying as fast as that planes average speed.

Source(s): Out of the wild blue younder.

What is knots?