How do make a great meatloaf?

Favorite Answer

I always thought that my wife made the best Meat Loaf, but last month the following receipe was in Cooks Illustrated Magazine. This magazine is without a doubt the very best magazine for receipes and cooking tips. Everyone who enjoys cooking should get this magazine. The receipe is pretty complicated, but I promise...it is worth the trouble.

Glazed Meat Loaf From Cooks Illustrated

1/2006

If you can't find chuck and/or sirloin, substitute any 85 percent lean ground beef. Handle the meat gently; it should be thoroughly combined but not pastelike. To avoid using the broiler, glaze the loaf in a 500-degree oven; increase cooking time for each interval by 2 to 3 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8

Meat Loaf

3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese , grated on small holes of box grater (about 1 cup)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)

1 medium rib celery , chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)

1 medium clove garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)

2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon paprika

1/4 cup tomato juice

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

2 large eggs

1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (powdered)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

3/4 teaspoon table salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 pound ground sirloin

1 pound ground beef chuck

Glaze

1/2 cup ketchup

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/4 cup cider vinegar

3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread cheese on plate and place in freezer until ready to use. Prepare baking sheet (see illustration below).

2. Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until foaming; add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add tomato juice. Cook, stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan, until thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to small bowl and set aside to cool.

3. Whisk broth and eggs in large bowl until combined. Sprinkle gelatin over liquid and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, mustard, saltines, parsley, salt, pepper, and onion mixture. Crumble frozen cheese into coarse powder and sprinkle over mixture. Add ground beef; mix gently with hands until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Transfer meat to foil rectangle and shape into 10 by 6-inch oval about 2 inches high. Smooth top and edges of meat loaf with moistened spatula. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of loaf reads 135 to 140 degrees, 55 to 65 minutes. Remove meat loaf from oven and turn on broiler.

4. While meat loaf cooks, combine ingredients for glaze in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Spread half of glaze evenly over cooked meat loaf with rubber spatula; place under broiler and cook until glaze bubbles and begins to brown at edges, about 5 minutes. Remove meat loaf from oven and spread evenly with remaining glaze; place back under broiler and cook until glaze is again bubbling and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more. Let meat loaf cool about 20 minutes before slicing.

Source(s): I have now made this meatloaf several times and everyone says that it is without a doubt the best they have ever had in their life. It may sound like I work for this magazine, but I just subscribe to it. You can also subscribe online at. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/
  • Tina

1

1 lb ground beef

1 lb ground breakfast sausage

1 1/2 slings of butter flavored crackers (rounds are best)

a few hand fulls of cinnamon toast crunch cerial

bbq sauce (your favorite flavor)( I prefer honey bbq)

2 large eggs

mix meats and eggs in a bowl. ( I use my hands and really grind the two meats together) add 1 of the plastic sleeves of crackers mix very well. then add couple of hand fulls of the cerial. add onions if you like they taste great in it too. chopped small pcs. add bbq sauce and mix. You should add it slowly because you don't want the mixture to be too wet.

I form this into a standard meatloaf form. 5-7" wide, 9-10" long, 3-5" thick in a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Cover with tin foil and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours @ 350 - 375 degrees.

This is the way I make my meatloaf. I use lean ground chuck. I mix the meat with lipton onion soup mix, egg, bread crumbs and a little tomato sauce. You can add onion and bell pepper cut up real fine. My family doesn't like onion or peppers but I do.

Instead of lipton onion soup mix, you can use worstershire sauce. It makes the meat tasty too. good eating....

FIRST OFF CHOOSE AT LEAST 80/20 MEAT. CHOP UP ONIONS GARLIC A LITTLE CELERY, AND BELL PEPPER, SAUTE THESE OFF IN A SKILLRT THEN ADD TO MEAT ALONG WITH BREAD CRUMBS,MIX IN A FEW EGGS IN PORPTION TO THE AMOUNT OF MEAT MIX IN A LITTLE CATSUP NOT TOMATOE SAUCE, MIX THIS ALL TOGETHER AND PLACE IN THE FREEZER APPROXIMATELY 30 MIN. BEFORE COOKING EGGS ARE ONE OF THE KEY ELEMENTS TO HOLD THE MEAT LOAF TOGETHER AND PLACING IT IN THE FREEZER FOR 30 MIN WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE OF KEEPING IT TOGETHER WHILE GETTING IT STARTED COOKING.CATSUP AND NOT TOMATOE SAUCE GIVES BETTER FLAVOR. KNEED THE MEAT TO GET THE AIR OUT OG IT AS YOU WOULD BREAD THIS ALSO WILL HELP KEEP IT TOGETHER. YOU CAN ADD ONE CAP FULL OF KITHEN BOQUET(SP) AND WORCHESTER SHIRE SAUCE

Source(s): 50 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A COOK

you should check out www.allrecipes.com.. they have plenty to chose from

Source(s): www.allrecipes.com