When you pray, how do you address God?

Do you address God (the father), Jesus, and the Holy Spirit seperate, or do you say something like "Lord" and address them all together? I know God also has many other names and titles. I also believe in the three (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), but I also believe they are all one. Often when I pray I may address God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit, or I may call God by His other names (depending on the prayer). But I also assume all are one and they all hear everythig anyway. It seems right for the most part. I know God hears and understands me, but sometimes I wonder if I'm using the right terms. Any thoughts?

Favorite Answer

God has a multitude of names that he has acknowledged throughout the ends of time. Abba Father, is my favorite....kinda like Daddy......There is Prince of peace, Keeper of My soul, savior, friend, eternal creator, ever my best friend. Basically, God is not caring about what you call him.....He is more concerned with the fact that you do include him in every aspect of your life....He wants your love, He wants your heart, He will take care of your soul....he gave his son Jesus Christ as a promise of that eternal resting place with Him. May you pursue Him with great zeal to find out what He wants you to call Him...you will learn that the more time you spend in prayer and in His word. God Bless

I usually address God as God or Father. Acknowledge who He is and what He has done.

Then I address Jesus Christ as Jesus and pray my concerns with Him.

Then I address the Holy Spirit with awe and thanksgiving for all that He does and is doing with my life.

• magpie

I start my prayers with Dear God, and because i am a christian at the end i say in "Jesus Name I pray" I always try to remember the good things i have received, otherwise i just pray to look after family memebers and right now Mr. SHARON AND rANDY mCcLONE FROM THE SAGO MINES

there are many ways to address God, and there arnt any "right terms" the Bible dosnt say you have to address God in anyway, in fact i beleive that somewhere inside it says that its like talking to a friend, yet he is the king of everything. i have heard people start off by saying "wazzup" although shocking at that time (i havent heard anyone pray like that before) it was fine, and yes they are all one, trinity, three in one.

you can even start it off like a letter,

Dear God,

Dear Heavenly Father, ...etc

Heavinly Father, or Lord

My darlings address me as "Abba" because I want them to understand the text below...

Mostly I use "Lord" or "Adonai" because I want to establish that I am the servant and He is the King regarding whatever I pray.

Source(s): Romans 8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” Galatians 4:6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”

God, honey, here's a list of things I want you to do asap to all these people. You know how right I am, and how much i love telling you that. You are so good when you do everything I tell you to do. Please keep me happy, and let me know when you've completed these tasks. Amen

I'm pretty much just like, "hey". He is all-knowing and he loves us no matter what. Addressing him informally is totally okay, he will still hear you.

Raise your hand and say, "Hey, God, it's me." And you can begin your prayer, God is listening to you.

Source(s): Break Through

Jesus taught us how to pray, he said to his Deciples "Our Father, who art in Heaven..."