2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L engine problems?

I work for a towing and auto, semi, truck, etc. repair shop in Wisconsin. We towed in a 2000 Dodge Intrepid that has a 2.7L DOHC 24 Vavle enging that wounldn't run. The owner had been trying to start it for a few days and it had been sitting outside in about 10 degrees weather, when we got it into our shop, we first found out that it needed a new starter as the owner had burnt out the old one trying to start the car, we checked the sparkplugs and oil and found that the car had not been loaded up with extra fuel which happens alot in the cold winters up here, when one of the mechanics tryed to start the car, it turned over and sounded like it was out of time and then before he knew it the engine blow up and tore off both fronts of the timing chain/valve covers. My question is what could have caused this, I have never in my life seen anything like it, I would apprecate and help in this matter that I could get, thanks you.

Best Answer

That 2.7 liter Chrysler engine is arguably the least reliable engine of any modern vehicle.

I run CarComplaints.com & engine failure/timing chain failure with the Dodge Intrepid (and other Chrysler vehicles that use the same 2.7l engine) is hands down the most common complaint we've received. Look at the problem category graph in the second link (sources section below)... engine problems with the 2000 Dodge Intrepid are 17 times as likely to happen than any other type of problem. This has gone on consistently for the last 2 years.

In almost all reported cases, the cause of the engine & timing chain problems was oil sludge, due to a design defect in the engine.

Last year the Center For Auto Safety (CAS), a pro-consumer organization started by Ralph Nader, wrote several public letters to Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche pressuring Chrysler to address this defect. Chrysler categorically denied the defect even existed & blamed owners for not changing oil regularly. CAS replied that there was clearly enough evidence to show a design defect with their engine was responsible. Chrysler hasn't changed their position.

• Erika

2001 Dodge Intrepid Problems

2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 Engine

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I work for a towing and auto, semi, truck, etc. repair shop in Wisconsin. We towed in a 2000 Dodge Intrepid that has a 2.7L DOHC 24 Vavle enging that wounldn't run. The owner had been trying to start it for a few days and it had been sitting outside in about 10 degrees weather, when we got it...

Source(s): 2000 dodge intrepid 2 7l engine problems: https://shortly.im/HK2ws

I have a 2000, it has 136,000 miles on in an have spent less than $200.00 outside regular maintenance in 115,000 miles!! I love the car. The 2.7 is a troublesome engine. I am lucky and never had any problems, I use full synthetic oil. Google Dodge 2.7, it looks a little scary but, if you change the transmission fluid when you get it and run full synthetic maybe you will have the smae luck!!

I think I would check the oxygen sensor. Could be telling the motor not a open exaust causing a back up in the motor.