First Wire Work in Kung Fu Movies?

Earlier today, I watched Sister Street Fighter, also known as Onna hissatsu ken (1974). There was a fight scene with obvious wire work. Any perceptive person with working eyeballs could see the actors keep getting tangled in it. Secondly, you could see the wires, clear as day. {I guess that's how Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon may have looked without the CGI to clean up all the vertical lines.}

That got me wondering, when did wires start being used for stunts in kung fu movies? Does anyone know the first movie?

• 2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

because in the old chinese novels and stories, myths about kung fu, they have fighters who have the ability to fly and have long distances strikes and stuff like that, but the whole wire works thing did start til the mid seventies, right around when bruce lee pass away, they needed something to excite the crowd and that's what they used.

I love Kung Fu as well.. here are my top 5 1. The Prodigal Son 2. Drunken Master 3. The Victim 4. Legendary Weapons Of Kung Fu 5. The Magnificent Butcher