Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

letter of intent help?

ok i need to write a letter of intent for this program im going into for school next year. ill be year 12 and ill be doing 3 days school 1 day tafe and 1 day work placemeant. The teacher says i need a letter of intent for my position (i want to do something with accounting and finance) so i was wondering if any1 could give me any help or a mock 1 or a template

Thanks

• Namito
    Favorite Answer

The purpose of your letter of intent is a sales pitch. You are selling yourself and your abilities. You’ve probably spent a great deal of time researching the schools and programs that interest you. Once you have narrowed down your choices to the ones that you believe fit you the best, it's time to introduce yourself.

Research the job you want to do for one day a week, make contacts with the human resource department to see if they have very part time work. You should ask if they want an intern. An intern would photocopy, mail sorting, filing papers, taking meeting minutes, or something secretarial. The best way to move up is to start at the bottom.

Dear Ms. Smith:

My name is _____ and I'm a Junior at __this school____ with a concentration in finance or advanced math programs. . I've made the (( Dean's List every semester// or list the grades you have in math // or get a recommendation from a math teacher you have had and put a quote about your ability and attribute your source)). I'm writing to express my interest in your program when I’m in year 12. I plan to be studying in school for three days a week, one day performin “tafe??”, and one day as a work placement ((name the firm or company in which you will being an intern, you should tell your teacher which of the financial institutions you will apply for)). This will prepare me for a job in the world of finance.

I learned about your program ((tell how)). When I spoke with students who are in this program I learned (what did you learn?)) I realize this program will give me a strong foundation in mathematics and the out of classroom experience will give me a leg up when I am entering the workforce full time. This is the best avenue to expand my knowledge next year.

I would like to discuss this program with you over the phone. My phone number is 555-5555, and my email address is student@letterofintent.com.

Sincerely,

Robin Shreeves

So how do you write a letter of intent? Here is a basic letter of intent template:

1. Determine the name and address of the right person to receive the letter. You don't want to address the letter to "Department Head" or worse yet, "To Whom it May Concern." Unless the letter is directly addressed to the right person, it's not likely to get read by that person. A quick phone call to the institution or place of business can usually get you the information you need.

2. Write the letter using the proper business format. This is not a casual, friendly letter. It needs to look professional. Use a simple font such as Times New Roman or Arial.

3. Introduce yourself in the first paragraph of the letter. Include what year you are in school, what school you currently attend, and any information that is pertinent. For example, if you are writing to the basketball department of a school, it would be appropriate to mention that you are the captain of your high school basketball team.

4. Next, describe why you are writing the letter. Describe how you first learned about the school or program, and how you became excited about it.

5. Now it's time to state your credentials. Tell the reader why he should consider you for this school/program. This can be in paragraph form or a bulleted list of your accomplishments. Be specific and be honest.