How to hire a web developer?

Our company is looking to hire a web developer to maintain two of our companies major retailing websites. One will host thousands of products being sold direct to customer, the other hosting information on products to be sold wholesale to retailers. Both sites are already live, built by a 3rd party company. Now... show more Our company is looking to hire a web developer to maintain two of our companies major retailing websites. One will host thousands of products being sold direct to customer, the other hosting information on products to be sold wholesale to retailers.

Both sites are already live, built by a 3rd party company. Now that our implementation contract is up we'd like to take future maintenance in house. I've been given the responsibility of hiring a talented web developer that can work in our office with the rest of the team. I have an MIS degree and have done some hobby web development but do not have the talent I think this position will require.

What I am asking for is help on what criteria to look for while hiring. What are key questions to ask to make sure we acquire great talent? What is the appropriate college degree? anything to help weed out those who are newbs or intermediate and find those who truly love and might be good at web development.

We need this person to be able to manage product updates, add features, troubleshoot issues, and manage both websites. We would also need the person to manage SEO, manage traffic statistics, and help us improve the website and business on the website.

If you have links to any good 'interview tests' or important questions to be asked, along with answers, I'd appreciate the help. We really want to make sure the gap we need is filled.