Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Christians: How do I improve my social skills?

I am socially awkward now, my social skills are bad, I can`t even have a one way conversation, how do I fix this, my conversation skills are bad, I start a conversation by saying to someone hi and they ignore me and then when I do get into a conversation at school by saying where u from people run for me, my dad told me maybe people run from you because you are an ugly sk@nk, guess he is right. My dad hates me and tells me, ``Give up, you`re going no where in life.`` I think I am awkward. Really awkward.

Favorite Answer

Why direct this at Christians?

All they'll tell you to do is to pray to God and ask for guidance, which obviously never works.

How old are you? I was a social misfit all thru school. When I married, it was two years before I would talk to my hubby's parents and we lived down the street. But....Once I found my voice and my attitude and realized I'm all that and a pile of stink, no one can walk over me, or run over me. I'm not ugly about it, just firm. Where will your confidence come from? It'll come when you are tired of listening to your dad, your school mates. It will come when you as a Christian realizes ....God Don't Make Junk....Being a Christian has certain ground rules...(this is me talking, not the bible, not God himself)...Being a Christian means that you will be the best you can be, hold your head high, even when others trash you, laugh at you, talk about you. Being a Christian with your head held high, is saying Hi, Im Linda, how are you today? Smile, walk with confidence, talk with confidence and whoever doesn't like you....They are the one who lost out on a wonderful conversation with a wonderful person who is God's Child.....About your dad...Just pray for him....BUT ...don't listen to him...God is the one who made you...Dad just got the process started...*G*

• Ollie

You are a child of God! Jesus loves you and he's proud of you. Nothing your dad says can change that. Your name is not "awkward." You are certainly having some awkward times, but awkward is not who you ARE. Please remember that. (Easy for me to write and hard for you to do, I know, I know.)

You have an excellent approach to conversation: people love to be asked about themselves. But people in school can be massively mean to each other. Is it possible that your social skills are just fine? Is it the people around you that have social problems? Could be, eh?

Is there another peer group besides school where people are friendlier? (church? sports team? someplace you could work as a volunteer? A YWCA in your town?) Maybe you could reach out to a trustworthy adult in a place like that and ask for some sympathy and help. You could use some friendly people in your life.

May the peace of Jesus-- that surpasses human understanding -- give you strength and guard your heart and mind.

I am Christian and shy. I don't go up to people to easily. However, I do tend to conquer my shyness and go up to people. Try asking things like,"How was your day?" Get their attention and try to put down whatever fear exists. Most importantly, pray that God will help you to improve your social skills. Now the thing that people do is to pray then think that will take care of that. That's not right. Your prayer requires your action, just that the next time you run into the issue, trust God.

Source(s): My experience.

its a tricky thing. i'm very social, and socially awkward. my problem is i steer the conversation into something nobody understands or wants to talk about. most people are simple minded. just have courage. be slow to speak and quick to hear.

Wow, your dad probably has awesome social and parenting skills.

I hope things have improved for you, but if not, I have found some useful ways to begin basic human contact, which will make you more comfortable in social situations. I always look at the person I wish to talk to, find something about them that is worthy of comment, and then ask them a question about it. "Nice earrings, where did you get those?", if they are wearing them. If they look tired, "Man, what a day!". If they are wearing holiday themed clothing, "Wow, nice outfit! I wish I could get into the holiday spirit too!" Notice something about that person, see them as a fellow human being who gets tired, happy, depressed and hopeful just like you, and make a comment that encourages them to talk about themselves. The magic happens every time, from cashiers at the store to people in line for the movie, to any other situation where you are around other people. SEE them, relate to them, and encourage them to talk about themselves. If they are good people, they will respond positively. If not, screw them, who needs to connect with assholes on a personal level?

Kid I grew up incredibly awkward because even though I had well off parents, I spent my development years with adults and not interacting with other children when you learn these skills. You honestly have to force yourself to go out and interact with all kinds of people. You have some educating to catch up on, and unfortunately you won't learn it from reading or a book, you need experience.

• Pray to God for help, he helped me with my poor social skills!

I might know the answer, but I'm not a Christian. Too bad because I might have helped.