where did the phrase "catch ya on the flip-side" originate from?

Best Answer

Dang, I am so OLD! In the good ole days (50s, 60s), when there were round BLACK disks with holes in the middle called 45s that you played on "record players", the popular song was put on one side of the "record" and a supposedly second rate song was put on the B, or "flip" side. Often the second rate song was better or became more popular than the other. I suspect "catch you on the flip side" originates from those old 45s.

The phrase 'flip side' has several meanings and all of them can be contributors to the phrase "catch you on the flip side"

1)The B-side of a phonograph record (for those of you too young to know what this is - think of it as a double sided CD) "Nice tune, what's on the flip side?"

2) A necessary consequence or corollary of something, especially seen as opposite "Walking to work is definitely healthier – on the flip side, though, it takes twice as long."

3) (idiomatic) later or tomorrow - See you on the flip side!

4) CB Radio/Trucker slang meaning "see you on my return trip"

WOLF MAN JACK. He still has a radio show on weekends. He would play a little known song then take a break, saying that, then when he came back ,he would play the "Flip side" of the 45rpm record..

• Cybeq

I'm just guessing but I think it has something to do with old vinyl singles having two sides to them. Old time disc-jockeys would play the b side, sometimes called the "flip side" of a 45rpm record.

Possibly referring to a cassette tape, you listen to one side and flip it over to the other side to listen to the rest, the beginning of one side is at the the same point as the end of the other side.

George Bush???

• Silly playboys who enjoyed surfing, and inventing colloquial sayings?

DJs, when they actually played records.