can i replace the cells in my drill batt pac with lithium ion cells and will the charger work?

Favorite Answer

Battery chargers are programmed for a specific type of cell. I don't know what's in there now, so I can't compare the two types.

You would have to take out the cells and look at the shape and connection type and see if you can find identical replacement Li-ion units.

I doubt the drill would work very well. Probably the calls there now are Ni-Cd, which have the disadvantage of "charge memory" but have the advantage of tremendous current sourcing capacity.

Li-ion batteries under a load that's fine for Ni-Cd could (a) be incapable of supplying the current or (b) might explode. Watch out!

The chargers are totally different, I wouldn't try it unless you can get a Li-Ion charger for the new cells. Good luck!