Tips to get rid of the sippy cup?

My son turned 3 last month and I am having a very difficult time getting rid of the sippy cups. He can drink just fine from a regular cup-with or without a straw. It's a comfort thing first thing in the morning, and bedtime routine. (No sippy in bed-he drinks in the kitchen, then goes to brush teeth, then bed). The last few evenings, he would wake up in the middle of the night screaming for a sippy, even though I would normally offer him a sip of water. He wants that <insert profanity> sippy! We have even discussed what a big boy he is and we were going to buy all new cups, throw out the sippy cups, and I tried making such a big deal about it. Any one have tips for me? Anyone experiencing the same ordeal?

I just wanted to clarify that in no way do I use profanities to my son in regard to his sippy cup, or anything! I might refer to it this way towards my husband, but certainly not my son!

Favorite Answer

what would happen if the sippys were just, magically gone one morning?

if they aren't there he cant drink out of it.... would he throw a 24 hour tantrum? he'd probaby have a fit at first, but soon realize theres no point.

• Mal

At 3 yrs old, the "<insert profanity>" has got to go. The profanity is your issue... not the sippy cup. Here you have got to make it clear that he should not repeat that word. If he should do so again... the sippy cup goes in the garbage.

Otherwise, I don't believe the sippy cup is a comfort so much as he may simply feel that he has more control getting whatever he's drinking into his mouth better when he uses a sippy cup.

At 3, it is perfectly fine for him to still use this kind of cup. Take comfort in knowing that he knows how to use a regular cup. Do not make an issue of him getting rid of the sippy cup at this age. In fact, do not "sweat" the sipping cup as that is something any kid will drop when he or she is ready.

My daughter is 4. She knows how to use a regular cup and glass. However, it gives me more comfort in knowing that 1. she an avid water drinker so I keep a spill proof cup filled regularly throughout the day, and 2, I don't worry about spills when she moves around the house with it during the day. 3 -- most important... I don't have to get up during the night as she knows where to find her water during the night -- In the corner of her bed (she drinksd, put it right back and goes back to sleep).

Nor, was I embarrassed to take this spill proof cup of water out of my pocket book in a room full of parents and other 4 yr olds 2 weeks ago during Pre-K registration.

• mommyo

We had a similar problem getting my son to give up his pacifier. We ended up cutting a hole in the tip that mysteriously got bigger and bigger every day. Eventually there was nothing to suck on and he tossed it. Could you do something similar to reduce the appeal?

With my daughter, we had the "soo-soo" fairy come and take away her pacifier and leave a little present behind. Could you do something like this?

Of course you could toss the sippy cups and go cold turkey but I know that's tough on everyone. If he's only having a sippy cup at certain times for comfort, consider if it is necessary to take them away right now. Does he have other things that he uses for comfort (a stuffy or blanket)? Try and encourage him to look for one of these instead when he wakes up at night. Make sure that you only offer him water in the sippy cup or put only a tiny amount in it and offer the rest in a "big boy cup." It's so hard helping a child part with a comfort object!! Hand in there. It will happen. I guarantee that he won't need one when he's 14. LOL Good luck.

yes and i know how you feel i got my son off the bottle at 1 years old and the sippy at 2. see your son is 3 now he knows what that cup is you have to nip it in the bud first of all when he cries its okay tell him he's okay and let him know he is a big boy that is all you can really do you will start to see a change but whatever you do do not give in!!!!!!

When it comes to dropping things from the routine.. (bottles, sippies, paci's whatever the problem is) Just stop giving it to them, throw them all out so they arent in the house. Yes it could be a rough couple days, but after a few days he will start to get used to it, and with them not in the house there is no temptation for you to give in and just give it up!

good luck and hang in there!

mommy to 3yr identical twin girls and 1yr singleton boy

I would get a cup with a straw and then convert to a regular cup

Just throw them all away. And stick to it. The crying will eventually stop. But you need to be consistant.