Tips to get rid of the sippy cup?

My son turned 3 last month and I am having a very difficult time getting rid of the sippy cups. He can drink just fine from a regular cup-with or without a straw. It's a comfort thing first thing in the morning, and bedtime routine. (No sippy in bed-he drinks in the kitchen, then goes to brush teeth, then... show more My son turned 3 last month and I am having a very difficult time getting rid of the sippy cups. He can drink just fine from a regular cup-with or without a straw. It's a comfort thing first thing in the morning, and bedtime routine. (No sippy in bed-he drinks in the kitchen, then goes to brush teeth, then bed). The last few evenings, he would wake up in the middle of the night screaming for a sippy, even though I would normally offer him a sip of water. He wants that <insert profanity> sippy! We have even discussed what a big boy he is and we were going to buy all new cups, throw out the sippy cups, and I tried making such a big deal about it. Any one have tips for me? Anyone experiencing the same ordeal?
Update: I just wanted to clarify that in no way do I use profanities to my son in regard to his sippy cup, or anything! I might refer to it this way towards my husband, but certainly not my son!