Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 decade ago

Which prescription acne creams/gels are the best?

I have been suffering with moderate-to-severe acne for awhile now. I went to the dermatologist who tried to put me on Accutane, but I chickened out after 2 days of treatment because I’ve heard horror stories about hair loss and other side effects. So that option is out. I also don’t really want to get into oral drugs because I’m afraid I’ll develop a resistance to the drug, and my acne will break out worse than ever once I stop taking it. That leaves topical creams and gels. I’ve already tried most non-prescription stuff including Proactive and none of them work for me.

This leaves me with prescription-only creams and gels to try, and so my question is:

Note: I’m currently using Benzamycin, which works a little, but not nearly enough.

Please give me some advice!

Favorite Answer

From what my dermatologist has said, the strongest gel is tazorac. It is really similar to accutane in what it does to your skin to stop the acne, but without the side effects of accutane. I think it depends on how well your skin reacts to it on how well it does. I was on tazorac for what seemed like forever, and I had been on almost every medicine before that to treat my acne. My dermatologist told me to use it once a day, but I was still breaking out, so I then started using it twice daily, which REALLY shocked my doctor. The only side effect I had was that every once in a while my face would feel like it was on fire (I had to sleep with a cold washcloth over my face to make it stop), and that started when I loaded tazorac on twice a day. A lot of people get dry skin while on it, but apparently my face produces a lot of oil, so my face never got dry. I started taking accutane 5 days ago, and I am fine. All of my friends and relatives who have been on it basically have perfect skin now, and all said that I was going to LOVE what accutane is going to do for me. Their are a lot of bad side effects for most prescription drugs (listen to the commercials) and accutanes side effects really aren't worse. I really think you should reconsider accutane. I was on many MANY different medications for 3 YEARS before I got it, and I had to get a new dermatologist that would give it to me to get it (the one before said my face was not bad enough to get it and the one before that refused to prescribe it because of "legal issues." Examples of drugs that I was on: tazorac, differin, benzoclyn, monoclycine, metrogel, evoclin, bactrim, etc. etc. etc.

Source(s): I've been on everything!

1

Source(s): I Cured My Acne - http://AcneAway.raiwi.com/?uSiZ
  • Margie

Dry and/or greasy skin due to poor oil composition of the skin. Thick greasy oils clog pores, lack of oil leads to dryness and irritation. You need thin oils to moisturize while dissolving and clearing gunk in your poors. Try fish oil or seafood. 2 tsp fish oil a day or 4 servings of seafood a week. Stick it out for at least 2 months; it will take a long time to replace all your oil. Any effect after 1-2 days is temporary or random; so even if it makes you break out a little at first, you haven't given it a full try yet.

In the short term you can wash and moisturize well, but that will only go so far. Plus excessive washing can be drying and excessive moisturizing can be clogging. Use a small amount of a light moisturizer, made with oil not jelly or grease. Often that means soybean oil or mineral oil. Mineral oil means mined from the ground. So soybean oil is usually better, though mineral oil won't cause too much harm. Clean with soap and water, not a harsh acne cleanser. Even then they only work so well. So you really need the seafood.

Antibiotics aren't really good for bacteria long term, they'll come back in force after. Short term they may help. After you get off them find some kefir with acidophilus listed first or 2nd to replace the friendly bacteria they destroyed. Studies show less illness when you have these bacteria, even outside the stomach in places such as the lungs and elsewhere. You want friendly bacteria to fill the void when the antibiotics stop, not harmful ones.

In the short term you might also try 100,000+ iu retinol vitamin A (a megadose, and too much for normal use) or one of the acne drugs that is similar to retinol vitamin A. It's some minor harm to your organs, but it helps against bacteria on your skin. At least it doesn't have the other long term drawbacks to your skin that antibiotics and many scrubs do.

If you would like to learn how to treat your acne permanently and regain your health and wellbeing, without drugs, without typical acne treatments, and without any side effects, then this will be the most important letter you will ever read.

Weird Trick Forces Your Body

To Eliminate Your Acne

Giving You Beautiful Clear Skin

In 30-60 Days?

Make sure your sound is turned on!