Hey ladies, I have a few questions about ovulation tests! And a medical question?

My husband & I aren't planning to "try" for a baby until sometime early next year! Maybe even January, but I just want to be prepared for as much as I can ahead of time. Well I have been married a year (20years old) and i spent the evening with my mom at her companies Christmas party last night and... show more My husband & I aren't planning to "try" for a baby until sometime early next year! Maybe even January, but I just want to be prepared for as much as I can ahead of time. Well I have been married a year (20years old) and i spent the evening with my mom at her companies Christmas party last night and she was pretty shocked to find out I have NEVER been on birth control and haven't gotten pregnant. She has 5 kids and said if she would even think about it she would get pregnant. She is only 34 and had her tubes tied after my little brother. Now i am pretty worried because it seems like I know so many people these days who are having sooo much trouble TTC. Well anyway I just ordered a pack of ovulation test strips online and Im not too sure how it all works and there wasn't a lot of information on the site. So any tips or comments would be helpful! Now on the flip side, my aunt (on my dad's side) (Everyone in my moms side has ATLEAST five children a piece) Well my aunt had cysts and complications, had a ovary and tube removed when she was really young and was told she would NEVER have children. She did get pregnant twice though with a son and daughter, just took a long time. I had my appendix removed a year ago and the doctor said he found a big cyst that he removed during the surgery. Im not even too sure what that means! Does that complicate my fertility?

Sorry this is a bit long, just a little scared now. thanks for any help!
(We have been using the pull out method for a couple of years and no pregnancy)
Update: I havent always tracked my periods but started in October. Here is the list.
October 5th
Nov 11th
Dec- I should start tomorrow I guess but dont even feel like I will.
Update 2: These are what I bought:

http://www.testcountry.com/categories.html?cat=185