Can you sterilize stuff using the microwave?

Glassware, Wood, Ceramic, Stone. I know...no metals or plastic.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • DIYpro
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Anything that is marked microwave safe is fine. I am surprised nobody mentioned it yet, maybe it is because I am a bit older than the other respondents, but here is a bit of history. The microwave was INVENTED to sterilize lab glassware. Only later did some brainiac see that it could be marketed for cooking.

• 1 decade ago

Microwaves excite water molecules which causes the heat.

In order to sterilize anything water must be involved.

I have used wet washclothes heated via micro for heat pads. This is scalding hot and you must wrap washcloth in a towel but lasts quite a bit with the bonus of moisture.

In short yes you can.

• 1 decade ago

We sterilize our sons bottles in a purpose made sterilizer for the microwave. Scrub them , add 200 ml of water and zap them for 4 minutes. works a treat.

• 1 decade ago

A kitchen sponge is sterilized by putting in the Micro for 1 minute on high. Be sure to make sure the sponge is wet before placing in the Micro.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes you can. but only by the use of the microwave to boil water and that does the sterilizing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wouldn't even suggest boiling water in a microwave oven. Superheating water can cause it to react violently.

Source(s): I've done it before. Big boom.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't think you can sterilize things in the microwave (besides dish sponges), but you can, however, sterilize in the dishwasher.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, that wouldn't be wise or successful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.