Can you sterilize stuff using the microwave?

Glassware, Wood, Ceramic, Stone. I know...no metals or plastic.

• DIYpro
    Favorite Answer

Anything that is marked microwave safe is fine. I am surprised nobody mentioned it yet, maybe it is because I am a bit older than the other respondents, but here is a bit of history. The microwave was INVENTED to sterilize lab glassware. Only later did some brainiac see that it could be marketed for cooking.

Microwaves excite water molecules which causes the heat.

In order to sterilize anything water must be involved.

I have used wet washclothes heated via micro for heat pads. This is scalding hot and you must wrap washcloth in a towel but lasts quite a bit with the bonus of moisture.

In short yes you can.

We sterilize our sons bottles in a purpose made sterilizer for the microwave. Scrub them , add 200 ml of water and zap them for 4 minutes. works a treat.

A kitchen sponge is sterilized by putting in the Micro for 1 minute on high. Be sure to make sure the sponge is wet before placing in the Micro.

yes you can. but only by the use of the microwave to boil water and that does the sterilizing.

I wouldn't even suggest boiling water in a microwave oven. Superheating water can cause it to react violently.

Source(s): I've done it before. Big boom.

I don't think you can sterilize things in the microwave (besides dish sponges), but you can, however, sterilize in the dishwasher.

No, that wouldn't be wise or successful.