Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

What is a unity candle?

Okay I know it's a candle but like how does it fit into a ceremony. (like what takes place) I understand it's to symbolize 2 becoming 1. But I have never seen anyone do this. never heard of it until I came on here actually. I've seen this type of thing at baptisms but not a wedding.

devilishangel those are GORGEOUS!! perfect for your theme.

Favorite Answer

The unity candle ceremony uses two taper candles with a large pillar candle (called the "unity candle") in the center. At the beginning of the wedding ceremony, a representative from each family (usually the mothers of the bride and groom) light the two taper candles. Later in the ceremony (usually after the formal vows), the bride and groom use the two taper candles to light the large pillar (unity) candle together.

Often a unity candle is decorated with the wedding invitation, an inscription, a picture of the couple, or other ornamentation. The candles are almost always white. The lighting ceremony may be accompanied by special music, an explanation of the symbolism, or just some period of mutual gazing by the happy couple. In some circles, it is customary for the couple to save the unity candle and relight it on anniversaries.

It is sometimes performed to symbolize the joining together of the two families, and their love for the bride and the groom, into one united family that loves the new husband and wife. More often it is to symbolize the union of two individuals, becoming one in commitment. The popular explanation is that the taper candles are lit by representatives from each family to symbolize the love and allegiance that each family has for either the bride or the groom.[1] As the bride and groom use these two flames to light the unity candle, they bring the love of both families together in a united love of the new couple. Generally, the two tapers are left burning and replaced in their holders (because each family's love for their own will continue). However, in some ceremonies they may blow out their individual candles.

Here is a video of a unity candle at a wedding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO6GcmTfnIQ

Youtube thumbnail

Typically this takes place early in the wedding ceremony or right before it. You have two taper candles which represent each family and one big one in the middle which represents the new family about to be formed by joining the two. The two taper candles are used by two people to light the big one in the middle. These two people can be bride and groom or the mothers or whoever. The way I like best is the mothers light the taper candles from the other candles on the altar and then the bride and groom use those candles to light the unity candle. It's a nice ceremony.

Source(s): Wedding florist.
  • Reba

Dana had some great info for you.

The unity candle would fit into the ceremony between the exchange of vows and the blessing of the rings. You can also choose a nice song to be played at that time.

Good luck!

Those are used at certain religious ceremonies and yes, even some weddings depending on how reliously inclined the wedding is performed. The "unity candle" is just that... what it implies...unity for eternity or any other believed concept within any particular religion or group in a specific ceremony.

Dana pretty much summed it up here. If you do decide to do it, you can get candles that are as plain or elaborate as you want. When I was planning my wedding with my ex, I was going to use just plain white candles and tie ribbons around them in my wedding colors. Now, I'm planning a cinderella wedding and found these...(by far the most elaborate ones I've ever seen, and the most pricey, but I love it, and my aunt's told me she'll cover the cost of it as my birthday present this year).

http://bridalshop.freeservers.com/CINunity.html

Some time during the ceremony the bridal couple each light a long match from either their parents candle or a candle already lit at the alter and then they both light the unity candle.They are united as one.