Caring for a Dracaena Massangeana...?

Hello,

I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about 3 weeks ago. I placed that plant in a room with sunlight--though the plant itself wasn't getting direct sunlight. In a couple days the leaf tips were turning brown. So I moved the plant in another room under a window where it could get direct sunlight--same result; brown leaf tips AND now the new leaves are already yellow/brown. The entire 3 weeks I've had it I've watered it once, as directed. Furthermore the house temperature has always been 65-68 deg. I occasionally spray a mist on the leaves to dampen them and the plant soil remains mostly dry, as directed.

What am I doing wrong?? It couldn't seem to die any faster then if I yanked it from its soil. Should I re-pot it?

Any advice would be appreciated

Favorite Answer

Remove it from direct sun - filtered light is all that is required. Your plant needs watered more and possibly repotted. If it came in a plastic pot and is pushing against the sides so the pot is no longer completely round or if there are roots starting to come out of the bottom of the pot you should repot it in a pot about 2" larger.

If you notice anything that looks like pieces of cotton or any webbing on your Dracaena you have pests. The cottony look is from mealy bugs. The webbing would be spidermites. If you see either you will want to spray it off with horticultural oil. I would put it in the shower to do this.

Even if you don't see any sign of pests I would suggest putting it in the shower and spraying it off with water which is barely warm. If you are repotting you want to repot it first. If you are spraying with horticultural oil you could spray with water afterwards. I would wait a half hour or so in between. Shower your plant so that the soil is soaked through and all the leaves (top and bottom) and trunk are thoroughly cleaned off. One purpose of this to to remove any dust or insects that may be on it. I give my plants a shower about every six months.

After your plant has dried put it where you plant to leave it. Then check every other day or so to see if it needs water. Check soil moisture by sticking your finger into the soil up to the first knuckle. It should barely be starting to dry before you water it again but you don't want it to be completely dry.

Dracenas drop their bottom leaves as they grow so if you see it doing that don't be concerned.

Be sure it is not where it will be exposed to drafts of cold air or hot air such as furnace vents.

I don't know of any reason to mist the leaves of a Dracaena.

Dracaena Massangeana

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Caring for a Dracaena Massangeana...?

Hello,

I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about 3 weeks ago. I placed that plant in a room with sunlight--though the plant itself wasn't getting direct sunlight. In a couple days the leaf tips were turning brown. So I moved the plant in another room under a window where it could get direct...

Source(s): caring dracaena massangeana: https://biturl.im/qCNl0

Massangeana

I believe it would like some more water. If the dead leaves are tan and pliable or mushy, there's too much water but if they are yellow and crunchy, it's not enough. Water the soil until it drains, then let it completely dry out. Once it has dried out, water thoroughly again. Don't let it stay wet or stay dry.

These plants detest hard water containing chemicals. Try to use rain water or distilled water. Also, direct sun will scar the leaves.