Importance of having a responsive web layout?

I'm making a personal website for my portfolio (some web stuff, interaction design, also drawings and prints). Its purpose would mostly be for employers. I'm trying to decide how important it is for my website to be responsive (essentially meaning adapting it to also fit mobile). Is it really going to make... show more I'm making a personal website for my portfolio (some web stuff, interaction design, also drawings and prints). Its purpose would mostly be for employers. I'm trying to decide how important it is for my website to be responsive (essentially meaning adapting it to also fit mobile). Is it really going to make that much of a difference that people can view my website on their smartphone? I mean, when I'm on the subway, in a car, etc, it's not really the context in which I'd be looking at designers' websites. Should I jut implement it for the sake of showing off my ability to do so? The problem is that it really limits the type of media I can use, and the flexibility of how *I* want the user to see it, rather than the *user* seeing it exactly how they want. I don't want to compromise the aesthetic/intended experience for features that might not even be needed.

So my question again is - Is responsive web design absolutely necessary for a personal website with semi-web-related content? I don't want to seem like I'm jumping onto the HTML5 / CSS3 bandwagon, throwing every possible feature into the mix without really considering the contexts, but I also want employers to know that I can do these things. What's your say, those with similar experiences?