Looking for an easy-to-care-for houseplant. Suggestions?

I'd like to make my college dorm a little less depressing. What are some varieties of plant that can be kept in a small pot and are sturdy enough to survive the care of a lazy college student?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

plastic/silk - that's the only kind I can't kill! Actually ivy type is supposed to be hardy but I always forget to water them. Here's some suggestions I just googled for you.

http://houseplants.about.com/od/pickingahouseplan1...

Source(s): in my opinion, Barry is dangerous!

Here is a list of best houseplants, from a Plant Lady. Twenty five years taking care of plants in office buildings, restaurants, hotels, mansions and malls! Please also read section on watering and lighting. If you don't know how these relate to each other, you will not keep plants alive for very long.

Source(s): www.plantandflowerinfo.com/best_house_plants.html, www.plantandflowerinfo.com/watering.html, www.plantandflowerinfo.com/lighting.html
  • All plants take in carbon dioxide and emit oxygen but the ones listed below are great at filtering air pollution and cleaning up toxins, which makes them great for offices, homes and other enclosed spaces.

Areca palm

Arrowhead vine

Boston fern

Chrysanthemum

Date palm

English ivy

Pothos (pictured)

Rubber tree

Spider plant

Weeping fig

Most of these don't need much watering or maintenance. Hope this helps.

Source(s): www.earthfriendlylandscapes.blogspot.com www.creationslandscapedesigns.com

Cactus or ivy are pretty tolerant. Spider plants are known for being good air-cleaners.

Here are some more ideas for you.

http://www.sutton.com/articles/view-625

You can actually google "plants for lazy gardeners" & find a bunch of websites.

Plants will definitely spruce up your dorm room. Hope you find something you like :)

here's something fun you can do. just buy a sweet potato and plant it in a pot with soil. you'll need something for it to climb on or you can put it in a hanging pot and let the vines fall downward. it's not going to last forever but you can't beat the price... less than a dollar... and they're such pretty plants.

also, about the easiest houseplant to grow is pothos:

http://www.plant-care.com/easy-care-pothos.html

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/no-fuss/e...

attempt a rubber tree plant. they are good for the interior the dwelling house and that they are able to be particularly dramatic based upon the form. some with consistent care can advance into extremely tall. My friends grandmother has one that grew from 4 inches tall and it now touches the ceiling. and that they've 12' ceilings. i visit declare it took approximately two decades for that to take place.

• Kim R

Well, I'm pretty bad with houseplants myself except for mint plants, which I have had success with. They have grown well for me and it's nice to be able to pick off a sprig now and then and make mint tea with it, so they are useful plants, too. That would be my choice for you. Good luck!

Source(s): experience

BuySell caravans Classifieds is a UK site designed to bring local buyers and sellers together, therefore any ads which are from overseas or involve requests to ship overseas or pay money overseas should be treated with caution.

Spider plants, philodendroms, english ivy, and wandering jew, to name a few. Go to a grocery store or a home improvement store and you can see what is available in your area.

A spider plant. They are very tolerant, don't need sunshine and clean the air.