why the first screen of a web-page is important?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

because thats the first impression when people enter your website. The design will decide how long they'll stay. Its like a page that keeps them wondering whats inside. Like a girl being so close to you but said isnt love. Do you wonder whats she's up to then? Will you explore more to know?

Thats the same way first page (index page) works as.

Source(s): Using Frontpage 2000
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Jazka
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

It's the first page the user will see when they enter the website. It's kind of like a book cover. I know we say "don't judge a book by it's cover", but people do. If the cover of a book doesn't interest me, I'm probably not going to look inside it.

The same goes for a webpage. If it's too cluttered, too many colours, hard to read, etc. then people will assume the rest of the website is like that.

If you want people to look at the rest of your website the first page needs to make a positive impression on any visitors to the page. It also needs sufficient details as to what the website is about to allow the user to decide whether they want to continue or leave and go to another website.

• 10 years ago

The home page is a window into both the site and the company. It is not where every visitor enters the site, but every visitor expects it to act as a starting point if they need it.

The home page must

- Convey a quick – almost intuitive – sense of who the company/person is and what they do

- Provide clear pathways for visitor tasks (if you haven't identified tasks you need to)

- Convey the basic contents of the site

- Inspire confidence in both the site and the company/person

To do this, a home page must be

Explicit – be concrete and descriptive

Scanable – use the words visitors are thinking

Attractive – better looking sites perform better

Source(s): I pulled this from a recent set of wireframes for a client. I have 15 years experienced as an information architect and Web developer.
  • 10 years ago

Gives the user an immediate first impression of the website as a whole. If the first page is good the user is more inclined to browse the rest of the website. Kinda like judging a book by its cover.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.