Question about Gun Safety?

This question is for someone who known a great deal about guns. My husband has a gun in the home for security reasons and he likes to go shooting. He says that if someone broke into the home that I have the right to shoot them if I feel like they are a threat. However, he owns a glock 21 and I asked him, if you... show more This question is for someone who known a great deal about guns. My husband has a gun in the home for security reasons and he likes to go shooting. He says that if someone broke into the home that I have the right to shoot them if I feel like they are a threat. However, he owns a glock 21 and I asked him, if you shoot that at someone, is it a possibility that the gun will keep going and hit someone else. Does anyone know at what point a bullet stops going and even if you did shoot someone isn't it bad to shoot straight in fear someone else might get hit. Please no dumb or rude comments, I was curious because I would like to be educated on how bullets and guns work but couldn't find any information about it online.

Also I read on the news that this woman shot a man with a shotgun and my husband said her house must be messed up because a shot gun would like rip open your walls even if it didn't hit them. Is he telling the truth?

Thanks again! :)
Update: WOW! Thanks guys, that is some great advice, I appreciate it. I am learning so much about guns and their abilities. I told my husband that I want to go to a class and the gun range, because I feel I will never know the power of a gun until I shoot it, and I believe it will make me way more responsible in making... show more WOW! Thanks guys, that is some great advice, I appreciate it. I am learning so much about guns and their abilities. I told my husband that I want to go to a class and the gun range, because I feel I will never know the power of a gun until I shoot it, and I believe it will make me way more responsible in making sure I don't just think I can shoot at anyone, but also so I can show my son the importance is gun safety. Thanks again!! :)