Steps to build a well done website?

Hey friends, So I want to build a well done website, I am getting into a new motorsport and want to build something that comes off professional and will allow me to have a counter and attract sponsors (or a way for me to go to sponsors and show them my seriousness). I took a web design class back in high school... show more Hey friends, So I want to build a well done website, I am getting into a new motorsport and want to build something that comes off professional and will allow me to have a counter and attract sponsors (or a way for me to go to sponsors and show them my seriousness). I took a web design class back in high school some 5 years ago and recall html editor and dreamweaver and fireworks but thats it and maybe simple code. PLease recommend to me a good place to get a domain, a host and programs I should go purchase and possibly a book for me to study the code and how to use the programs.
If there is anything im missing here please let me know, thanks a bunch!