Tasha asked in PetsDogs · 5 years ago

Dog Anxiety?

So my family just got a dog. He's a yorkie shihtzu mix and when my grandmother leaves, he sits at the garage door (cause she usually goes out in her car) and whines and cries loudly. Its super sad but also very annoying. I let him come in my room and stare out the window and that shuts him up for a minute and I pet him and talk to him and he sits on my bed with me but then he runs off whining and whimpering again. He only sits with me though. My brother is a little scared of dogs, but he's getting quite used to him and tries to pet him, and my other brother either barely notices him or doesn't care. So I usually am the one he comes to.

Anyways, he's legit crying right now and sometimes he's getting quiet(ish) but its still annoying and sad nonetheless. Any way on how to train him or calm him until she gets back? She can be gone for hours at a time, sometimes a weekend or to, and on Tuesday she has a doctors appointment and my brothers and I have school. My mom doesn't know about him yet, since she's gone now, and I doubt she'll care. But still, what do I do?

• Angel
    Favorite Answer

You can try distracting the dog, when your grandmother is close to leaving take the dog to a different part of the house, play with him, brush him or just go for a short walk just before she leaves then when you get back he won't be as anxious.

Dogs do pick up on signals easily such as when mom gets ready to leave she will put her shoes on rather than boots, all the dogs will watch her intently, then she packs her backpack, now she is being followed by the mob. Once she touches the keys we usually have at least 5 sitting at the front door waiting.

Since the dogs have honed in on her signals she now gets ready to leave and doesn't.... The dogs will sit there for up to an hour then give it up kind of confused as to what happened. Then there is leaving by the back door.... Totally unnoticed by everyone, it's just play time outside that way and unless called the dogs don't go out so they don't care. There are also tricks of leaving with boots on, or putting on your hat and sitting around the house of an hour... Keeps the dogs guessing and they don't get used to a certain pattern.

You might ask your grandmother if she is willing to work with you to train the dog not to be so anxious about her leaving. We also found out that telling the dogs on e they have been trained a little first what your planning on doing. Such as when I go out I just state I'll be in the barn, I'll be outside or I'm leaving, and wt I will be either right back or back later. They don't understand the words exactly but it's a combination of signals, tone of voice and pattern of words.

With our old cockapoo we trained him to accept someone leaving, he used to have a fit, start scam-yowling and don't stop until we came back. It was over the edge of irritating but mom didn't want to use sedation because of known side effects. We spent the better part of the week with me going out the front door telling him 'I'll be right back, walk out the front door - leaving the door open and standing outside 2 minutes and coming right back in. 'Im back' as soon as I was in and the door closed. He was so confused by why I didn't shut the door he just storied at me.

I then turned the I'm leaving - door open, walked around the house coming the back door.... 'Im back'. At which Rusty came running up to me doing the happy happy dance. About the third day we started closing the door, he give a couple quiet whines and waited patiently for me to return... 5 minutes later 'I'm back' and Rusty did his dance. Mom and I took turns doing this - yes it was a pain in the butt - however it was better then giving him drugs all the time, it wasn't stressful to everyone in the house and rusty was able to get over his problem within 2 weeks of training. I took Rusty with me outside a couple times when I announced I was leaving, we sat on the front steps, or went to the barn and sat for a few minutes, didn't play or have fun just sat quietly with me petting him praising him for being good. Then when we returned announced 'I'm back'. Rusty figured out we are not going to abandon him (he was a rescue from an unknown past but we knew he had been abused). Rusty figured out we never did anything fun or exciting other then walk, which we did a lot anyway so he wasn't missing it. We didn't g visiting or play with the other animals so he ruled it out as boring and just didn't ca after that.

Now we are in the habit weather there is a person inside or not, always announce we are leaving, where we are going and when were coming back. We keep it simple such as not saying 'I'll be back when my chores see done and after I eat lunch'... If it's less than 10 minutes it's right back, then there's 'a little while' or 'later.'

You only have one dog right now which it's easier to town then several the same time. When he feels secure and knows that nothing is going to happen he should settle down. Was why doing some training or keeping him occupied will help with the anxiety quite a bit. If he ever has to be left home alone he will be used to the words better of 'il be back later' knowing that someone always comes back after the words. He may trash the house from being anxious, but it would be worse if he was feeling everyone left him and they were never coming back.

The dog will also settle down to the routine once he has been so the family for a little while longer, he was just uprooted from the previous place, you didn't state if he is a puppy or adult dog, but either day he has left at least one family more likely 2 if he is adult and isn't sure if he is going away and being placed in yet another family. We can't tell them words like 'your mine forever so don't worry we won't abandon you,' They hear,' blah blah blah.... Blah blah. You (name) blah blah'. And think something like... I'm so special my humans talking to me.....

You might want to consider working on crate training if he gets super anxious or destructive while your gone, or if he decides to potty all over the house. It's kind of like the leaving the house training, introduce it slowly, have him take names in there and make a fuss what a good buy he is. Give him a good chewy treat to keep him busy in there, once he is done you can let him out, praise him for being good etc. leave the crate available for him to go in and out as he pleases, you can put a small padded bed inside or a pillow or blanket. Make sure the kennel is big enough for him to fit properly. Once the dog is trained up well you may not have to use it, some of our dogs prefer sleeping in their kennels rather than the bed or couch, it gives them their own personal space to retreat to.

Hope this helps you some, feel free to post with questions or you can send an e-mail

Good luck

-Angels daughter

• Angel
      5 years agoReport

It's all a matter of training, timing, repetitions and showing what appropriate behavior you want from the dog - really no different than teaching a 30 month old child - they don't quite get it but know when your pleased.

• Adnama

Never go to the dog to comfort him or give him attention when he is crying or barking because then he will continue this behavior since he knows it works. Only go to him when he is quiet.

Your grandmother needs to do alone training with him and practice leaving for short amounts of time and building up to longer amounts of time as the dog learns to stay calm. This teaches the dog that she will always come back.

She also needs to tire the dog out with a long walk before she leaves. Leaving a radio on and giving the dog a treat-toy like Kong stuffed with frozen peanut butter will also keep him busy while she is gone. Here is some more advice:

http://www.cappdt.ca/public/jpage/1/p/ArticleHomeA...

i have a shih tzu who has anxiety and a lot of shih tzus have this problem. whenever we are home he is very potty trained but once we leave, he will go poop. we took him to the vet and we found out he has anxiety and the vet helped us out with some stuff. I would recomended taking your dog to the vet so you can find out. I hope this helped

my grandma has a yorkie shihtzu mix and that dog used to always cry. i would just cuddle with the dog or make it feel less excited. thats how my grandma did it when my grandpa left the house. but idk if that'll work on yours

Source(s): Eye witness of this working
  • justme

He is obviously attached to your grandma. Engage him in play when she leaves. Take him for walks, or work on some training with him.

• PAMELA

I guess the dog just misses your grandmother, can't she take the dog out with her a bit more?