How Can a Dog Get Gingivitis?

Earlier today, we brought our nine year old dog home from the vet, after they took four of her teeth out. They said that she had gingivitis. My whole family is befuddled because we give her good food like rawhide, dental bones, dinner rolls, and nothing out of a can. However, a few years ago, we've gave her pig... show more Earlier today, we brought our nine year old dog home from the vet, after they took four of her teeth out. They said that she had gingivitis. My whole family is befuddled because we give her good food like rawhide, dental bones, dinner rolls, and nothing out of a can. However, a few years ago, we've gave her pig ears every night. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. The funny thing is, she doesn't really chew her food as much swallowing it whole. So most of her food doesn't come in contact with her teeth. Anyway, I have been searching every where in the Internet, trying to find out why she got gingivitis, but I couldn't find anything. Thought what did surprise me was in one of the websites it said that if your dog has bad breath, it could have gingivitis. And this shocked me because I noticed her breath becoming fowl like 3 or 4 years. I don't know how this could have happened. Please help me!!
4 answers 4