Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Where did the expression 'liar liar pants on fire' come from?

It's so weird and doesn't make sense. I know it rhymes and that that makes it interesting though. What were the origins of this phrase?

Thanks in advance

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Bryce
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Surprisingly, it's in the Bible, one of the Psalms of King David. It sounds much better in Hebrew, though.

Psalm XVI:

"... and didst thou lie among us, saying,

'Thy trousers, they burn with a fire as though from Heaven,

thy nose lengthened as though

Lucifer hath pulled it through the eye of a needle...'"

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Someone with ants in their pants acts nervous and impatient, twitching and not being able to relax. I believe it is just an expression deriving from the similarity of the behaviour of an impatient hyperactive person and the conveniency of the rhyming words. Hope this helps

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well back in the day, some guy pissed me off! He said he didnt have an intimate relasionship with my sister, I found out she was pregant and when she had the kid, the guy came to me and said "Im sorry but I have to tell you im the father" So the next day I lit his pants on fire when he was sleeping to burn his private area, and i stood there saying liar liar pants on fire. Please do not attempt to do this at home

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The fire department?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

it was a book teaching children to tell the truth.

• 1 decade ago

Thanks, Bryce. You solved not only the pants problem but the Pinocchio one as well!

• 1 decade ago

very proud to say... no idea... lolx... waNNa ask a question.. where does mary had a little lamb came from??? llolx

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.