Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Where did the expression 'liar liar pants on fire' come from?

It's so weird and doesn't make sense. I know it rhymes and that that makes it interesting though. What were the origins of this phrase?

Thanks in advance

• Bryce
    Favorite Answer

Surprisingly, it's in the Bible, one of the Psalms of King David. It sounds much better in Hebrew, though.

Psalm XVI:

"... and didst thou lie among us, saying,

'Thy trousers, they burn with a fire as though from Heaven,

thy nose lengthened as though

Lucifer hath pulled it through the eye of a needle...'"

Someone with ants in their pants acts nervous and impatient, twitching and not being able to relax. I believe it is just an expression deriving from the similarity of the behaviour of an impatient hyperactive person and the conveniency of the rhyming words. Hope this helps

well back in the day, some guy pissed me off! He said he didnt have an intimate relasionship with my sister, I found out she was pregant and when she had the kid, the guy came to me and said "Im sorry but I have to tell you im the father" So the next day I lit his pants on fire when he was sleeping to burn his private area, and i stood there saying liar liar pants on fire. Please do not attempt to do this at home

The fire department?

it was a book teaching children to tell the truth.

Thanks, Bryce. You solved not only the pants problem but the Pinocchio one as well!

very proud to say... no idea... lolx... waNNa ask a question.. where does mary had a little lamb came from??? llolx