Need help on choosing a blog topic?

Ok, so I was going to write a blog for teens about making money online however I noticed there are a lot of similarities sites out there. What do you recommend I do?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all, well done for doing your research. Few bother. They get very excited about a topic and then rush straight into it. They write a lot of posts, and then give up in despair when the huge amount of competition ensures that they don't get any visitors to their blog.

Here's what I suggest:

1. Write about what you love and add a unique spin or twist to it. Don't only consider money making topics- they're definitely not the only way to make money online. If you have an unusual interest, whether it's fencing or fixing old radios, you won't be the only one!

Find out if there are fanzines or magazines, or forums dedicated to that topic. If so, there's enough of an audience to go for it.

2. If you are going for a mainstream topic, such as making money online, what can you offer that's different? Could you be more specific about what you offer? For example, online money making tips that cost $5 or less? Or perhaps you can save people time AND money?

Keep playing around with it until you get something less competitive.

3. Never forget, that even within a competitive niche there may be keywords within it that you can rank highly for. Keywords are those phrases that people write into search engines, e.g. "how do i make money online"

In order to find out if there are some neglected areas within a niche, use the free Google keyword tool and look for high search/low competition keywords.

If you can find enough keyword phrases (look for 5-10) then your posts could rank highly, and your website will follow accordingly, especially if you make sure to link your newer posts to older posts. Always make it as easy as possible for people to find their way around your site.

Just remember, you don't have to write about money to make money. Think about it. In almost all cases the audiences reading about how to make money online have very little of it. They might not be your best target group.

If you want to make money, think instead about activities that only the relatively wealthy can afford - like skiing - and then think how you can add a unique twist.

Finally, all the sensible tips in the world shouldn't override the best piece of advice you'll ever get - which is this:

If you want to make serious money blogging, you will have to blog a LOT. You will have to post content at least 5 times a week, and it will need to be high quality. You will need to do this consistently for months and months to rise in the search engines and build your audience.

So....you'd better love what you're writing about. If you don't, it will show - and you and your readers will lose interest. Follow your passion.

Source(s): Most of it comes from http://www.blogbods.com/ It's just a community of newbie bloggers...blogging about blogging. Very useful though. I also like smartpassiveincome.com
  • 8 years ago

Do one about making money off a YouTube channel. :)

Have a lot of fun.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.