Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

Latvia and Estonia or Ukraine and Belarus?

My partner and I have decided to reject our former plans to travel to Germany and the Czech, of which we've visited before, to travel further east, and it seemed to come down to these countries. Which two do you recommend? On the former we may throw in Lithuania and Kalingrad (Russia) if time persists.

• Taivo
    Favorite Answer

Latvia and Estonia will be much like each other and if you're going to Lithuania, it would just be one Baltic Republic after another with little to distinguish them other than the language.

Forget Belarus. It's not a pleasant place to visit because the government is so awful right now. I was in briefings for American scholars travelling to the former Soviet Union in the spring and everyone just pitied the two guys going to Belarus. Save it for after it becomes a democracy.

Ukraine is a great place to visit and your money will stretch quite far there if you stay away from the fancy Western-style shopping centers. Kyiv is the oldest city in this part of the world (about 1500 years old) and Lviv will remind you of Prague. The Crimea is warm and pleasant and Odessa has got the famous steps from Eisenstein's movie "The Battleship Potemkin".

Close your eyes and pick a Baltic country and then travel south to Ukraine.

If you are a citizen of the US, the EU, or Switzerland you don't need a visa to enter Ukraine, but you still need a visa for Belarus.

Source(s): I live in Ukraine
  • Lika

I live in Kyiv, Ukraine, I’m Ukrainian. As an interpreter of the English language I’ve met a lot of foreigners here and know what impression it produces, what the advantages and disadvantages are.

I’ve recently come across a fantastic site about Ukraine, made by an American man, living in Kyiv. One can hardly find a better and more comprehensive source to get an idea about our country! Enjoy it: http://www.tryukraine.com/

Then you will know for sure you want to come or prefer other countries.

As for me, Ukraine is not a ‘paradise’, but very much different from any other travel experience. I wouldn’t say it has as much in common with Belarus as one might think.

If the world is just a material place, then the description of the hotel service and restaurants will be enough for your decision making. People – that’s what makes the difference. By the way, anyone would agree that the most beautiful girls and women live in Ukraine! Even if it’s not your special interest, you can’t miss this miracle.

Ukraine is a newly born democracy, while Kyiv is 1500 years old, being the place where the history of Ukraine (Kyiv Rus’), Russia and Belarus was born.

Yes, your friend Judy is right, it’s rather exotic, adventurous experience to explore Ukraine, but unforgettable, that’s for sure!

With love from Ukraine,

Lydia

It really depends on what you are looking for, comfort or adventure.

Latvia and Estonia will be closer to Czech Republic. Pretty cities, nice hotels, interesting history etc. The main cities offer services pretty much on European standards.

Belarus and Ukraine will be more adventurous. These are still very pretty places but you will find it more challenging. Hotels will be more basic (the nicer hotels are quire expensive), fewer people speak English, food will be different, etc.

Personally, I would suggest to combine a trip to Lithuania and Belarus. The capital cities are Vilnius and Minsk. These cities are a four hour train ride apart, and yet in other ways, worlds apart. It will make for a very interesting trip.

On the otherhand, while the Lavtia, Estonia and Ukraine probably will not require that you have a visa (depending on your passport of course), you will almost certainly require a visa for Belarus. This is not so difficult, but it will increase the costs and preparation requirements of your trip.

Latvia and Estonia, =)

i'd choose Ukraine and Belarus

Well dear,,,you and your partner must live a wonderful life, I myself don't find these country's appealing, but you are an adventurous man, what ever you do, I know you will have fun, and I am sure you will be learning as you travel I have a feeling you are a sponge when it comes to knowledge

Source(s): I am going to take Ron Paul more seriously, because I know you really think he has a chance to win,,,and back in 75, I was campaining for Jimmy Carter, and my friends said he didn't have a chance....well.............how do you think they felt when Jimmy won.....I had a peanut party.....for real...no lie
  • Latvia and Estonia :)

Take me? :P I won't take up much room..