Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 8 years ago

What is Website Hosting?

I'm completely new to how websites and their specifics work. I want to know about website hosting because I just bought a domain name. I looked for some website designers online and they proposed to host and maintain the site for me. Can someone please explain how it works, does it mean they take control of the site for me and I can no longer do anything? Thanks for any help!!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hosting your website means that they'll put all the files and whatnot of your site onto their server ( a computer running 24/7) where it will be accessible on the internet. They should give you a username and password so that you can access your website from any pc connected to the internet and make any changes. If you're getting someone to design you a website they should be able to give you more details about how you can make changes to the site depending on how it's been built. I run a small business and this company (http://itaideurope.com/) made me a site where i could update a blog and make changes to the content of it's pages. Hope that helps.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Web hosting simply means making a website available on the world wide web such that people are able to view the content you have on your website.

A web site can be developed on any computer including your personal computer if you install and configure the right software. However, that will not make your website available via the internet. Therefore, to make it available via the internet, the files that make up your website must be uploaded or copied to a special type of computer called a web server. Once this is done, your website will be available via the internet. Now, that is what is called web hosting.

Now that you already have a domain name, your web designers do not need to do web hosting for you. The company that you paid domain registration fees are responsible for hosting your website. WHAT YOU PRESENTLY NEED IS JUST THE WEBSITE TO BE DEVELOPED. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY FOR WEBHOSTING AGAIN.

Depending on the web designer you get, there are two ways this can be done (though you don't need to know all the technicalities involved). The web site can be developed off site (on a personal computer) and then later on uploaded to your web server (which you already paid for). Alternatively, it can also be developed online on the web server.

Another option that you may consider at this stage is using a content management system such as wordpress or joomla which do not require you to know any programming skills to develop and maintain your website. Good luck

Source(s): www.libandweb.com
  • A web hоsting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their own website accessible via the World Wide Web. Web hosts are companies that provide space on a server they own or lease for use by their clients as well as providing Internet connectivity, typically in a data center. Web hosts can also provide data center space and connectivity to the

Internet for servers they do not own to be located in their data center, called colocation or Housing

as it is commonly called in Latin America or France.

The scope of web hosting services varies greatly. The most basic is web page and small-scale file

hosting, where files can be uploaded via File Transfer Protocol (FTP) or a Web interface. The files are

usually delivered to the Web "as is" or with little processing.[1] Many Internet service providers

(ISPs) offer this service free to their subscribers. People can also obtain Web page hosting from

other, alternative service providers. Personal web site hosting is typically free, advertisement-

sponsored, or inexpensive. Business web site hosting often has a higher expense.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Web Hosting

ngofrfastincome.com

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

When most web designers say they include hosting, this means they will add a hosting package to the domain. Websites require two things to function:

1] A domain name, such as google.com and,

2] A hosting package - somewhere to store all the data on a physical disk

By saying they will 'maintain' your site they will probably mean regular backups, installing any third party software for your website such as forums, databases or anything else you need.

If in doubt, ask them.

Source(s): Own a web hosting company
  • 8 years ago

The webpage who is designed by developer will upload his or her design to the web host according to the company's guidelines and policies, and based on the type of software the webpage designer has used. That upload submits the files to the web host, and then the webpage is published for all to see on the Internet.

Many web hosts, such as popular HostMonster, offer a number of tools to help their clients not only to simplify the process of uploading files to a webpage, but even offer programs to help build webpages quickly and easily. Virtually anyone can build a webpage with these simple, yet effective, tools. Knowing html code is not important with aids such as HostMonster "Website Builder" or software like Dreamweaver.

In other words

Web Hosting is the service that’s provides space on the Internet for websites.

• 8 years ago

Web hosting is a service which allocates space for customers to showcase their websites on computer servers that are connected to the Internet.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Hosting your web site indicates that they will place all the files and whatnot of your web site on to their server ( a pc operating 24/7) exactly where it will be accessible on the internet. They ought to give you a username and password so that you are able to accessibility your web site from each pc connected to the internet and make each changes. If you are acquiring somebody to fashion you a web site they ought to be in a position to give you much more details about how you are able to make changes to the web site based on how it is been built. I operate a little business and this business (itaideurope website/) produced me a web site exactly where i may possibly update a weblog and make changes to the content material of it is pages. Hope that helps.

• 8 years ago

Webhost put simply is providing space for your website content (data) on a centrally located computer connected to thousands of computers worldwide. There are several web hosting services. You can choose one as per your need.

• 8 years ago

Hello,

Just simply answer, if you want to try how website hosting works, try to go to http://www.000webhost.com and it's free.

Website designer makes website template, and millions of free website template can be found on internet. You can download them as many as you desired.

Also, you need website developer and designer tools to edit your web page, the best software to do it is Adobe Dreamweaver.

After editing, you can upload and store them to the server.

Also, you can use your domain there for free after you set DNS in DNS hosting like www.zoneedit.com (also free) and put the DNS address to the server where you host the webpage.

http://www.vektanova.com/2009/08/set-blogger-with-... << This is example how to use custom domain in Blogger, it is similar how you set DNS in a website hosting.

Just message me if you dont understand.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.