web design questions?

im interested in pursueing web design as a career, and i was just wondering if you guys had any web sites that list skills that i should try and build up that would help me. also, if any of you out there are web designers, how much do you generally make, like is it by commission or what? thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

Web Design is a good career to go for. There are tons of jobs for people out there in this field. Here are the main skills you will need to focus on at first.

HTML

CSS

Javascript

a server side language (PHP, Ruby, C# for ASP.NET)

PHP is the most common and probably the best for beginners.

You should also be familiar with the following software too.

Photoshop

Illustrator

A decent Text Editor (Sublime, Textmate)

There are some great tutorials online to follow. Here is a list of websites you should be following daily.

Smashing Magazine (a blog about web design and development and best practices)

http://smashingmagazine.com

Tutsplus (A blog with tutorials on Photoshop, Illustrator and web development)

http://tutsplus.com

Shay Howe - Learn Web Design (A tutorial site on Web Design HTML and CSS best practices)

http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/

I would also like to recommend a book called 'Above the Fold'. If you can get your hands on this book this will go over the surface of web design. It explains all the areas of Web Design and will give you a good grasp on what it really takes to build a well branded website that meets the needs of the clients.

As for how much a web designer can make it really varies. I started out at 20 an hour and now I make anywhere from 30-40. I am still learning myself as I am not at the elite level in my area.

I also want to add something. If it seems that there are no jobs or you are having troubles finding jobs, then you will have to create the jobs you work at. A lot of companies don't even have an online presence yet and it will be your job to find them and help them take their business to the next level online.

Source(s): Smashing Magazine - http://smashingmagazine.com Tutsplus - http://tutsplus.com Shay Howe Learn Web Design - http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/

Hi David, a career in web design can be fun and rewarding, especially if you own your own business rather than work for someone else. It's important to remember that you have to enjoy what you do. If you're in it just for the money, you won't be successful. I've been designing websites since 1999 and I got into it because I'm a geek with a creative side. I love to create beautiful, functional websites, but I also like the coding aspect. I also like helping my clients and providing solutions that they might not get from the "big" companies.

Don't be discouraged by what "Just JR" said and remember the old adage, "Your Mileage May Vary". It's like any business, there are pro's and con's, and it is what you make it. And you absolutely do not need to know all those languages! You can build fantastic websites (and a very successful business) knowing only HTML and CSS, but make sure you know them well. You'll need to know more advanced programming techniques if you're building huge corporate sites, but most small companies work with other small companies that don't need websites with that level of complexity. Honestly, I think simple is better, even for large companies.

If you're going to have your own web design business, you absolutely must know how to advertise, marketing, and sell. The best web designer in the world that cannot sell his or her services will not succeed. Nor will the best salesperson in the world who has poor web design skills. So sales and marketing are as important as the web design itself.

Remember also that using WordPress or a free website template site to design your websites is NOT web design. A true web designer creates their sites from scratch and writes manual code, OR if they use WordPress they create their own templates rather than using someone else's. Anyone can move pre-built elements around and put together a fairly decent looking website; doing that and calling yourself a "web designer" is like a sandwich maker at a fast food restaurant calling himself a "chef"!

"web design as a career"... says it all...

Advice?

DON'T!

The market is overcrowded with amateurs who have not a clue about what "the Web" is...

Because they have used some "web-builder" software and managed to make a little semi-static website, they THINK hey are on the top of the world.

Nothing is further from the truth.

I have seen hundreds of hopefuls who have invested their last penny to lauch a "Web Design Business", until they realised that the web is not such an easy place to live, and a VERY HARD business... and went bust in a few months.

Don't follow them!

The skills you need to be a successful "Web service"?

- Advertising Graphics Expertise (arts)

- Marketing

- Business Analytics

- Market analysis

- Programming at top level in MANY languages (HTML, CSS, javascript, php, asp, .net, mysql, MSSQL, IIS, AJAX, java, C++... - just to name but a few!)

PLEASE, register with vWorker.com as a developer.

READ requests from serious clients.

That will give you an idea in what field you are getting into, and it is not a pretty one!

I have developed sites for others for over 15 years. I don't anymore: clients think that the web is the universal panacea to make them rich quick. It does not work that way.

People believe that their little blog is going to be the next Facebook. It does not work that way.

I develop complex sites, FOR ME and my partners. It takes MONTHS of analysis before getting the right "graphics". It takes months to get the right coding behind. It takes A LOT of money to launch them. It takes constant monitoring to adapt and follow user's needs.

ONLY with that careful and lengthy process are the sites successful and making money.

The rest?

Billions of websites worth a couple of 100's, attracting no-one, and making no money whatsoever...

THAT is the career you want to get into.

Don't get me wrong: I am not a disappointed "designer/developer", on the contrary: I am working 10 hours a day developing stuff, and I really enjoy the challenges of the Web, but I also know what works and what does not! (and 99.999% of "websites" just... don't)

Source(s): http://web2coders.com - web development course.
  • eaddie

I consider that that is an awesome begin for a fifteen 12 months historic. I had been designing web pages as a passion for approximately eight years and am nonetheless making use of Macromedia Studio MX Suit, and it's been ready to do some thing I desired it to. (Macromedia used to be purchased out by way of Adobe, and made the goods you're making use of now.) It entails Dreamweaver, Fireworks, FlashStudio, Freehand, and ColdFusion. I am no longer definite what the equivalents to these are actually, however I consider you're at the proper monitor! Stick with it! Good Luck!

hello,

Web design is a creative way along with updated technical news. Professional web developers do the job each and every day. They stay up to date on the industry in general and know all the latest trends. It's their job to make sure they are up to speed on website development and Internet matters in general.

Incorporate memorable elements of your brand into your Web site, such as your logo and company color scheme. Make your logo prominent on your home page and put it on all subsequent pages to promote your brand. If your primary business is offline, just present enough clear, concise information to get customers to call or email. If you sell your products or services online, provide complete information to give customers the confidence to click and buy. Don’t put too much content on any one page, as Internet readers don’t like to scroll down.

A professionally designed website will be faster and more efficient. It will include search engine optimization , giving you a head-start in your Google rankings, in turn helping potential customers to find you. A modern, professional design will enable your visitors to navigate the site more easily, let you highlight what’s important about your business and create a positive impression. The benefit here is in the fact that you will only need to optimize content for one link. The URL structure remains constant for all devices. With Responsive design you have one URL that is easy to update and optimize your content which in turn optimizes your content for all devices. Whether it’s a Samsung phone, iPad or desktop responsive web design makes it easy for the Google crawlers to index your website pages.

• Ti

web design is based on content not Design the professional term of the internet is called IT (Information Technology) your priority is to serve information of your favorite topic, what you know the most sign up with Google Adsense and make as much as 12-15 grand a month ($12,000-15,000)

Tutvid has alot of tutorials out there both on YouTube and his main website check it out Google.

LISTEN to Just JR. Gave him a thumbsup for the good advice he gave you.

Ron